<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<rss version="2.0" xmlns:media="http://search.yahoo.com/mrss/" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">
<channel>
  <title>Album Triumphal Crosses from Martin M. Miles</title>
  <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/album/1297622</link>
  <image>
    <url>https://cdn.ipernity.com/p/105/57/EF/323415.buddy.jpg</url>
    <title>Album Triumphal Crosses from Martin M. Miles</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/album/1297622</link>
  </image>
  <description></description>
  <pubDate>Mon, 17 Aug 2026 01:40:03 +0000</pubDate>
  <lastBuildDate>Mon, 17 Aug 2026 01:40:03 +0000</lastBuildDate>
  <generator>https://www.ipernity.com</generator>
  <item>
    <title>Münster  -  LWL Museum für Kunst und Kultur</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53258754/in/album/1297622</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2026-02-27,doc-53258754</guid>
    <pubDate>Fri, 27 Feb 2026 18:55:09 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2025-11-01T15:59:50+01:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53258754/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/87/54/53258754.1a8a5fbe.240.jpg?r2" width="181" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Muenster, the cultural centre of Westphalia, is a city with a population of more than 250.000 of which nearly 50.000 are students at the University of Muenster. This surely helped Muenster to gain the status of the "bicycle capital of Germany".&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
The "Westphalian State Museum of Art and Cultural History" dates back to the 19th century and owes its existence largely to the contributions of local art associations. The Westphalian Art Association, founded in 1831, played a crucial role in collecting and preserving regional art. The museum has undergone several renovations, including the construction of a new building, which opened in September 2014. The museum displays artworks from the early Middle Ages to the present day. Its collection comprises more than 300,000 exhibits.&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
Gabelkreuz  / Forked Cross / 14th c.&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
The creation of such crucifixes, which depict Christ's martyrdom in a particularly dramatic way, is linked to the outbreak of the plague in 1347. People, threatened to an unprecedented degree by disease, famine, and death, implored the suffering Christ for help.&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Münster  -  LWL Museum für Kunst und Kultur</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53258754/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/87/54/53258754.1a8a5fbe.240.jpg?r2" width="181" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Muenster, the cultural centre of Westphalia, is a city with a population of more than 250.000 of which nearly 50.000 are students at the University of Muenster. This surely helped Muenster to gain the status of the "bicycle capital of Germany".&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
The "Westphalian State Museum of Art and Cultural History" dates back to the 19th century and owes its existence largely to the contributions of local art associations. The Westphalian Art Association, founded in 1831, played a crucial role in collecting and preserving regional art. The museum has undergone several renovations, including the construction of a new building, which opened in September 2014. The museum displays artworks from the early Middle Ages to the present day. Its collection comprises more than 300,000 exhibits.&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
Gabelkreuz  / Forked Cross / 14th c.&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
The creation of such crucifixes, which depict Christ's martyrdom in a particularly dramatic way, is linked to the outbreak of the plague in 1347. People, threatened to an unprecedented degree by disease, famine, and death, implored the suffering Christ for help.&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/87/54/53258754.1a8a5fbe.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="421" height="560" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/87/54/53258754.1a8a5fbe.240.jpg?r2" width="181" height="240"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/87/54/53258754.1a8a5fbe.100.jpg?r2" width="76" height="100"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Paderborn -  Museum in der Kaiserpfalz</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53246220/in/album/1297622</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2026-02-13,doc-53246220</guid>
    <pubDate>Fri, 13 Feb 2026 15:45:51 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2025-10-01T13:00:48+01:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53246220/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/62/20/53246220.a4c4f7cd.240.jpg?r2" width="194" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;After the violent subjugation of the pagan Saxon tribes Paderborn was founded as a bishopric by Charlemagne in 795, although its official history began in 777 when Charlemagne built a castle near the springs of the Pader river. In 799 Pope Leo III fled his enemies in Rome and reached Paderborn, where he met Charlemagne, and stayed there for three months. It was during this time that it was decided that Charlemagne would be crowned emperor. Charlemagne reinstated Leo in Rome in 800 and was crowned as Holy Roman Emperor by Leo in return.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In 836, St. Liborius became the patron saint of Paderborn after his bones were moved there from Le Mans. The bishop of Paderborn, Meinwerk, became a Prince of the Empire in 1100. &lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
The oldest surviving document bearing a city seal dates from 1222. In the same year, the citizens revolted against the bishop's rule. In 1225, King Henry VII significantly curtailed the power of the episcopal count and granted privileges to the citizenry. The city name "Paderborn" was officially established in 1241. In 1247, Emperor Frederick II bestowed the title of "Prince-Bishop" upon Bishop Simon I of Lippe. &lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
The "Museum in der Kaiserpfalz" (Museum in the Imperial Palace) is located next to the cathedral on the site where, in 1964, the foundations of the 8th-century Paderborn Palace and a later structure from the time of Henry II were discovered.&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
The exhibition "775 - Westphalia" was opened in 2025.&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
 Triumphal Cross,  12th century&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Paderborn -  Museum in der Kaiserpfalz</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53246220/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/62/20/53246220.a4c4f7cd.240.jpg?r2" width="194" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;After the violent subjugation of the pagan Saxon tribes Paderborn was founded as a bishopric by Charlemagne in 795, although its official history began in 777 when Charlemagne built a castle near the springs of the Pader river. In 799 Pope Leo III fled his enemies in Rome and reached Paderborn, where he met Charlemagne, and stayed there for three months. It was during this time that it was decided that Charlemagne would be crowned emperor. Charlemagne reinstated Leo in Rome in 800 and was crowned as Holy Roman Emperor by Leo in return.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In 836, St. Liborius became the patron saint of Paderborn after his bones were moved there from Le Mans. The bishop of Paderborn, Meinwerk, became a Prince of the Empire in 1100. &lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
The oldest surviving document bearing a city seal dates from 1222. In the same year, the citizens revolted against the bishop's rule. In 1225, King Henry VII significantly curtailed the power of the episcopal count and granted privileges to the citizenry. The city name "Paderborn" was officially established in 1241. In 1247, Emperor Frederick II bestowed the title of "Prince-Bishop" upon Bishop Simon I of Lippe. &lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
The "Museum in der Kaiserpfalz" (Museum in the Imperial Palace) is located next to the cathedral on the site where, in 1964, the foundations of the 8th-century Paderborn Palace and a later structure from the time of Henry II were discovered.&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
The exhibition "775 - Westphalia" was opened in 2025.&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
 Triumphal Cross,  12th century&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/62/20/53246220.a4c4f7cd.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="453" height="560" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/62/20/53246220.a4c4f7cd.240.jpg?r2" width="194" height="240"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/62/20/53246220.a4c4f7cd.100.jpg?r2" width="81" height="100"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Mainz  -  Landesmuseum</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53231286/in/album/1297622</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2026-01-31,doc-53231286</guid>
    <pubDate>Sat, 31 Jan 2026 10:49:01 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2025-09-01T14:38:12+01:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53231286/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/12/86/53231286.08bd7a72.240.jpg?r2" width="184" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Mainz was founded around 20 BC by the Romans under the name “Mogontiacum” as a military camp. Today's capital of the state of Rhineland-Palatinate forms a metropolitan area with Wiesbaden, the neighboring capital of Hesse, with a combined population of around 500,000.&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
The "Republic of Mainz", a product of the French Revolution, was the first democratic state on German territory. The state was represented in Paris by the well-known naturalist Georg Forster, who had been in the Pacific with Captain Cook as a boy. The Mainz Republic ended after only five months in July 1793 following the conquest of the city by Prussian and Austrian troops. Georg Forster died in Paris in 1794.&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
The State Museum is one of the oldest museums in Germany. Its origins lie in a collection of 36 paintings that Napoleon gifted to the city of Mainz in 1803 to establish an art gallery.&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
Today the Landesmuseum has extensive art and cultural history collections, ranging from prehistory to modern art.&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
Crucifix&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Mainz (?), 1200–1250&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Mainz  -  Landesmuseum</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53231286/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/12/86/53231286.08bd7a72.240.jpg?r2" width="184" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Mainz was founded around 20 BC by the Romans under the name “Mogontiacum” as a military camp. Today's capital of the state of Rhineland-Palatinate forms a metropolitan area with Wiesbaden, the neighboring capital of Hesse, with a combined population of around 500,000.&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
The "Republic of Mainz", a product of the French Revolution, was the first democratic state on German territory. The state was represented in Paris by the well-known naturalist Georg Forster, who had been in the Pacific with Captain Cook as a boy. The Mainz Republic ended after only five months in July 1793 following the conquest of the city by Prussian and Austrian troops. Georg Forster died in Paris in 1794.&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
The State Museum is one of the oldest museums in Germany. Its origins lie in a collection of 36 paintings that Napoleon gifted to the city of Mainz in 1803 to establish an art gallery.&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
Today the Landesmuseum has extensive art and cultural history collections, ranging from prehistory to modern art.&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
Crucifix&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Mainz (?), 1200–1250&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/12/86/53231286.08bd7a72.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="428" height="560" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/12/86/53231286.08bd7a72.240.jpg?r2" width="184" height="240"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/12/86/53231286.08bd7a72.100.jpg?r2" width="77" height="100"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Paris  -  Musée de Cluny</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53201732/in/album/1297622</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2026-01-08,doc-53201732</guid>
    <pubDate>Thu, 08 Jan 2026 20:02:38 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2025-08-01T11:31:40+01:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53201732/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/17/32/53201732.b6aaf35c.240.jpg?r2" width="202" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The Hôtel de Cluny was built in the late 15th century on the site of an older building constructed after the Abbey of Cluny acquired the ancient Roman baths in 1340.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The manor house was rebuilt under Jacques d’Amboise, Abbot Commander of Cluny (1485–1510). In the 18th century, the tower of the Hôtel de Cluny served as an observatory for the astronomers Joseph-Nicolas Delisle, Jérôme Lalande, and Charles Messier. During the French Revolution in 1789, the manor house was confiscated.&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
In 1832, the archaeologist and art collector Alexandre Du Sommerard acquired the Hôtel de Cluny and used it to display his extensive collection of medieval artifacts. After his death, the collection became the property of the French state. The building opened as a museum in 1843.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
 The museum underwent a complete renovation over three years and reopened in 2022.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Crucified Christ &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
France, Auvergne, 2nd half of 12th century&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Paris  -  Musée de Cluny</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53201732/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/17/32/53201732.b6aaf35c.240.jpg?r2" width="202" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The Hôtel de Cluny was built in the late 15th century on the site of an older building constructed after the Abbey of Cluny acquired the ancient Roman baths in 1340.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The manor house was rebuilt under Jacques d’Amboise, Abbot Commander of Cluny (1485–1510). In the 18th century, the tower of the Hôtel de Cluny served as an observatory for the astronomers Joseph-Nicolas Delisle, Jérôme Lalande, and Charles Messier. During the French Revolution in 1789, the manor house was confiscated.&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
In 1832, the archaeologist and art collector Alexandre Du Sommerard acquired the Hôtel de Cluny and used it to display his extensive collection of medieval artifacts. After his death, the collection became the property of the French state. The building opened as a museum in 1843.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
 The museum underwent a complete renovation over three years and reopened in 2022.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Crucified Christ &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
France, Auvergne, 2nd half of 12th century&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/17/32/53201732.b6aaf35c.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="471" height="560" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/17/32/53201732.b6aaf35c.240.jpg?r2" width="202" height="240"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/17/32/53201732.b6aaf35c.100.jpg?r2" width="84" height="100"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Paris  -  Musée de Cluny</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53201726/in/album/1297622</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2026-01-08,doc-53201726</guid>
    <pubDate>Thu, 08 Jan 2026 19:50:17 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2025-08-01T11:30:13+01:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53201726/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/17/26/53201726.c1d0d464.240.jpg?r2" width="209" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The Hôtel de Cluny was built in the late 15th century on the site of an older building constructed after the Abbey of Cluny acquired the ancient Roman baths in 1340.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The manor house was rebuilt under Jacques d’Amboise, Abbot Commander of Cluny (1485–1510). In the 18th century, the tower of the Hôtel de Cluny served as an observatory for the astronomers Joseph-Nicolas Delisle, Jérôme Lalande, and Charles Messier. During the French Revolution in 1789, the manor house was confiscated.&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
In 1832, the archaeologist and art collector Alexandre Du Sommerard acquired the Hôtel de Cluny and used it to display his extensive collection of medieval artifacts. After his death, the collection became the property of the French state. The building opened as a museum in 1843.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
 The museum underwent a complete renovation over three years and reopened in 2022.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Crucified Christ &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
France, Velay, 2nd half of 12th century&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Paris  -  Musée de Cluny</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53201726/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/17/26/53201726.c1d0d464.240.jpg?r2" width="209" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The Hôtel de Cluny was built in the late 15th century on the site of an older building constructed after the Abbey of Cluny acquired the ancient Roman baths in 1340.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The manor house was rebuilt under Jacques d’Amboise, Abbot Commander of Cluny (1485–1510). In the 18th century, the tower of the Hôtel de Cluny served as an observatory for the astronomers Joseph-Nicolas Delisle, Jérôme Lalande, and Charles Messier. During the French Revolution in 1789, the manor house was confiscated.&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
In 1832, the archaeologist and art collector Alexandre Du Sommerard acquired the Hôtel de Cluny and used it to display his extensive collection of medieval artifacts. After his death, the collection became the property of the French state. The building opened as a museum in 1843.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
 The museum underwent a complete renovation over three years and reopened in 2022.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Crucified Christ &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
France, Velay, 2nd half of 12th century&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/17/26/53201726.c1d0d464.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="488" height="560" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/17/26/53201726.c1d0d464.240.jpg?r2" width="209" height="240"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/17/26/53201726.c1d0d464.100.jpg?r2" width="88" height="100"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Tournai - Cathédrale Notre-Dame</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53076962/in/album/1297622</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2025-09-14,doc-53076962</guid>
    <pubDate>Sun, 14 Sep 2025 21:13:33 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2025-06-01T14:23:10+02:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53076962/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/69/62/53076962.111cc16c.240.jpg?r2" width="188" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Tournai lies on the site of the Roman Turnacum and is, after Tongeren, the oldest city in Belgium. This was the site of a ford on the Scheldt River, where the connection between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Cologne, which had been expanded into a fortified Roman road, crossed the Scheldt. The Roman camp was plundered by the Franks and Chauci, but survived until 406, when the Vandals attacked and destroyed it.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The city became a Merovingian seat of power in the mid-5th century, from which King Childeric I also operated. In 486, Clovis moved the center of power to Paris. In 862, Charles the Bald, first king of Western Francia and still to become Holy Roman Emperor, would make Tournai the seat of the County of Flanders.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
 The city participated in 11th-century rise of towns in the Low Countries, with a woollen cloth industry, which made it attractive to merchants. The commune's drive for independence from the local counts succeeded in 1187, and the city was henceforth directly subordinated to the French Crown. During the 15th century, the city became an important supplier of tapestry. It was captured in 1513 by Henry VIII of England and was handed back to French rule in 1519.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Tournai Cathedral  of Notre Dame is the seat of the Diocese of Tournai. It has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2000.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In 1146, by order of Pope Eugene III, the Diocese of Tournai was established by splitting off from the Diocese of Noyon. The present cathedral was already under construction at that time. The transept was not vaulted until the beginning of the 13th century, followed by the construction of the crossing tower and the four flanking towers. The crossing has a Romanesque triforium above the transepts, but is already covered with a Gothic ribbed vault. &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Under Bishop Walter de Marvis, the Romanesque choir was replaced in 1243 by the present, larger, High Gothic choir, which was consecrated in 1255. At the beginning of the 14th century, the west façade, which had no towers except for two delicate round turrets, received its Gothic vestibule, and by 1325, two more side chapels had been built in the Gothic style.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The Triumphal Cross&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Tournai - Cathédrale Notre-Dame</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53076962/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/69/62/53076962.111cc16c.240.jpg?r2" width="188" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Tournai lies on the site of the Roman Turnacum and is, after Tongeren, the oldest city in Belgium. This was the site of a ford on the Scheldt River, where the connection between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Cologne, which had been expanded into a fortified Roman road, crossed the Scheldt. The Roman camp was plundered by the Franks and Chauci, but survived until 406, when the Vandals attacked and destroyed it.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The city became a Merovingian seat of power in the mid-5th century, from which King Childeric I also operated. In 486, Clovis moved the center of power to Paris. In 862, Charles the Bald, first king of Western Francia and still to become Holy Roman Emperor, would make Tournai the seat of the County of Flanders.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
 The city participated in 11th-century rise of towns in the Low Countries, with a woollen cloth industry, which made it attractive to merchants. The commune's drive for independence from the local counts succeeded in 1187, and the city was henceforth directly subordinated to the French Crown. During the 15th century, the city became an important supplier of tapestry. It was captured in 1513 by Henry VIII of England and was handed back to French rule in 1519.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Tournai Cathedral  of Notre Dame is the seat of the Diocese of Tournai. It has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2000.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In 1146, by order of Pope Eugene III, the Diocese of Tournai was established by splitting off from the Diocese of Noyon. The present cathedral was already under construction at that time. The transept was not vaulted until the beginning of the 13th century, followed by the construction of the crossing tower and the four flanking towers. The crossing has a Romanesque triforium above the transepts, but is already covered with a Gothic ribbed vault. &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Under Bishop Walter de Marvis, the Romanesque choir was replaced in 1243 by the present, larger, High Gothic choir, which was consecrated in 1255. At the beginning of the 14th century, the west façade, which had no towers except for two delicate round turrets, received its Gothic vestibule, and by 1325, two more side chapels had been built in the Gothic style.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The Triumphal Cross&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/69/62/53076962.111cc16c.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="437" height="560" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/69/62/53076962.111cc16c.240.jpg?r2" width="188" height="240"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/69/62/53076962.111cc16c.100.jpg?r2" width="78" height="100"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Lille - Palais des Beaux-Arts</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53071160/in/album/1297622</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2025-09-08,doc-53071160</guid>
    <pubDate>Mon, 08 Sep 2025 21:20:27 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2025-06-01T16:52:28+02:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53071160/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/11/60/53071160.96506417.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="186" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The museum opened in 1809 in connection with the French Revolution, following the confiscation of works of art from noblemen and church property. A central warehouse for the Lille area was established in a former monastery building. The space was soon too small. When, after a move the space in the new town hall became insufficient, it was decided to build a new building in 1882. This building opened in 1892, but was closed in 1895 due to structural defects and reopened in 1998 with a renewed heating and ventilation system. During the First World War, the museum suffered significant damage. After the capture of Lille by German troops, certain works of art were stolen. In 1917 and 1918, parts of the collection were transported to Brussels. The museum was not reopened to the public until 1924, after extensive renovations. In 1991, the museum had to be closed due to urgent renovation work.  In 1997, the museum reopened to the public. It now has 22,000 m² of space, of which 12,000 m² are available for exhibitions.&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Lille - Palais des Beaux-Arts</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53071160/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/11/60/53071160.96506417.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="186" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The museum opened in 1809 in connection with the French Revolution, following the confiscation of works of art from noblemen and church property. A central warehouse for the Lille area was established in a former monastery building. The space was soon too small. When, after a move the space in the new town hall became insufficient, it was decided to build a new building in 1882. This building opened in 1892, but was closed in 1895 due to structural defects and reopened in 1998 with a renewed heating and ventilation system. During the First World War, the museum suffered significant damage. After the capture of Lille by German troops, certain works of art were stolen. In 1917 and 1918, parts of the collection were transported to Brussels. The museum was not reopened to the public until 1924, after extensive renovations. In 1991, the museum had to be closed due to urgent renovation work.  In 1997, the museum reopened to the public. It now has 22,000 m² of space, of which 12,000 m² are available for exhibitions.&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/11/60/53071160.96506417.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="560" height="433" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/11/60/53071160.96506417.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="186"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/11/60/53071160.96506417.100.jpg?r2" width="100" height="78"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Liège - Cathédrale Saint-Paul</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53054216/in/album/1297622</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2025-08-21,doc-53054216</guid>
    <pubDate>Thu, 21 Aug 2025 13:47:25 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2025-05-01T15:04:54+02:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53054216/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/42/16/53054216.1f357c08.240.jpg?r2" width="180" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Liège is the center of the largest Walloon agglomeration, and the cultural center of the Walloon region of Belgium. The city, with a population of about 200.000, is located at the confluence of the Ourthe and Meuse rivers.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Around 705, Saint Lambert of Maastricht is credited with completing the Christianization of the region, but conversion may still not have been quite universal, since Lambert was murdered in Liège. To enshrine  his relics, the successor, Hubertus (later St. Hubert), built a basilica which became the nucleus of the city.&lt;br /&gt;
In 1468, following an uprising of the inhabitants against Burgundian rule, xof Burgundy had the city plundered and systematically destroyed. The few survivors who had fled into the forests—Charles the Bold allegedly had more than 5,000 inhabitants murdered—were only able to return to the city for reconstruction after seven years.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In 1789, partly in connection with the French Revolution, the Liège Revolution occurred. It was directed against the absolutist rule of the Prince-Bishop and was crushed in early 1791 by troops commissioned by the Holy Roman Empire. In 1795, Liège was occupied by French troops and became part of the First French Republic. The Congress of Vienna annexed it to the Kingdom of the Netherlands, which in 1830 became the Kingdom of Belgium, to which Liège has belonged ever since.&lt;br /&gt;
Bishop Ebrachar founded a collegiate here in 966 on what was then an island between two branches of the Meuse. &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Construction of the present church began in 1240. The first phase included the choir, the transept, and the two bays of the eastern nave. The church was consecrated in1289. The second, High Gothic construction phase began after 1333 and included the four western bays of the nave, the side portal, the chapels of the side aisles, the polygonal apse, and finally the tower. At the beginning of the 16th century, the west portal was added next to the tower.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In 1794, during the French Revolution, the demolition of the huge St. Lambert's Cathedral began. Under the supervision of a "Commission destructive de la cathédrale". In 1803, the two towers on the facade were destroyed. By 1827, almost the entire complex had been leveled.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
After the revolution subsided, the population sought a replacement and chose the Collegiate Church as the church closest to the city center. After the church was elevated to cathedral status in 1804, the tower was raised by a bell tower and a spire; The western towers of the destroyed St. Lambert's Cathedral served as a model. A comprehensive restoration in the Neo-Gothic style took place between 1850 and 1875. The choir received two additional side aisles, and the entire exterior façade was decorated with statues and ornamental elements.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The triumphal Cross&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Liège - Cathédrale Saint-Paul</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53054216/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/42/16/53054216.1f357c08.240.jpg?r2" width="180" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Liège is the center of the largest Walloon agglomeration, and the cultural center of the Walloon region of Belgium. The city, with a population of about 200.000, is located at the confluence of the Ourthe and Meuse rivers.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Around 705, Saint Lambert of Maastricht is credited with completing the Christianization of the region, but conversion may still not have been quite universal, since Lambert was murdered in Liège. To enshrine  his relics, the successor, Hubertus (later St. Hubert), built a basilica which became the nucleus of the city.&lt;br /&gt;
In 1468, following an uprising of the inhabitants against Burgundian rule, xof Burgundy had the city plundered and systematically destroyed. The few survivors who had fled into the forests—Charles the Bold allegedly had more than 5,000 inhabitants murdered—were only able to return to the city for reconstruction after seven years.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In 1789, partly in connection with the French Revolution, the Liège Revolution occurred. It was directed against the absolutist rule of the Prince-Bishop and was crushed in early 1791 by troops commissioned by the Holy Roman Empire. In 1795, Liège was occupied by French troops and became part of the First French Republic. The Congress of Vienna annexed it to the Kingdom of the Netherlands, which in 1830 became the Kingdom of Belgium, to which Liège has belonged ever since.&lt;br /&gt;
Bishop Ebrachar founded a collegiate here in 966 on what was then an island between two branches of the Meuse. &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Construction of the present church began in 1240. The first phase included the choir, the transept, and the two bays of the eastern nave. The church was consecrated in1289. The second, High Gothic construction phase began after 1333 and included the four western bays of the nave, the side portal, the chapels of the side aisles, the polygonal apse, and finally the tower. At the beginning of the 16th century, the west portal was added next to the tower.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In 1794, during the French Revolution, the demolition of the huge St. Lambert's Cathedral began. Under the supervision of a "Commission destructive de la cathédrale". In 1803, the two towers on the facade were destroyed. By 1827, almost the entire complex had been leveled.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
After the revolution subsided, the population sought a replacement and chose the Collegiate Church as the church closest to the city center. After the church was elevated to cathedral status in 1804, the tower was raised by a bell tower and a spire; The western towers of the destroyed St. Lambert's Cathedral served as a model. A comprehensive restoration in the Neo-Gothic style took place between 1850 and 1875. The choir received two additional side aisles, and the entire exterior façade was decorated with statues and ornamental elements.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The triumphal Cross&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/42/16/53054216.1f357c08.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="420" height="560" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/42/16/53054216.1f357c08.240.jpg?r2" width="180" height="240"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/42/16/53054216.1f357c08.100.jpg?r2" width="75" height="100"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Hannover - Landesmuseum</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52826518/in/album/1297622</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2025-03-27,doc-52826518</guid>
    <pubDate>Thu, 27 Mar 2025 12:08:27 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2024-10-01T12:11:56+01:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52826518/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/65/18/52826518.f77a7c88.240.jpg?r2" width="160" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;With more than 500.000 inhabitants Hannover is the capital and largest city of the German state of Lower Saxony.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Hannover was founded in medieval times on the east bank of the River Leine. It was a small village of ferrymen and fishermen. It became a comparatively large town in the 13th century, receiving town privileges in 1241, owing to its position at natural crossroads It was connected to the Hanseatic city of Bremen by the Leine and was situated north-west of the Harz mountains so that east-west traffic passed through it.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Between 1714 and 1837 three kings of Great Britain were concurrently also Electoral Princes of Hanover.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
As an important railway and road junction and production centre, Hannover was a major target for strategic bombing during WW II. More than 90% of the city centre was destroyed in a total of 88 bombing raids. So today Hannover lacks it´s medieval heart.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Originally the Museum of "Kunst und Wissenschaft" (art and science) inaugurated in 1856 in the presence of George V of Hanover. After the annexation of Hanover by Prussia, the museum was integrated into the Provincial Museum, as it was called from 1869. The museum  ran out of space for its art collections, prompting the construction of the current building in 1902. Extensive renovations and modernisations were carried out in the interior from 1995 to 2000, reopening on 13 May 2000 as part of Expo 2000.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Today the museum comprises the state gallery (Landesgalerie), featuring paintings and sculptures from the Middle Ages to the 20th century, and departments of archaeology, natural history and ethnology.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Crucifix&lt;br /&gt;
wood, Hildesheim (?), 1120&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Hannover - Landesmuseum</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52826518/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/65/18/52826518.f77a7c88.240.jpg?r2" width="160" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;With more than 500.000 inhabitants Hannover is the capital and largest city of the German state of Lower Saxony.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Hannover was founded in medieval times on the east bank of the River Leine. It was a small village of ferrymen and fishermen. It became a comparatively large town in the 13th century, receiving town privileges in 1241, owing to its position at natural crossroads It was connected to the Hanseatic city of Bremen by the Leine and was situated north-west of the Harz mountains so that east-west traffic passed through it.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Between 1714 and 1837 three kings of Great Britain were concurrently also Electoral Princes of Hanover.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
As an important railway and road junction and production centre, Hannover was a major target for strategic bombing during WW II. More than 90% of the city centre was destroyed in a total of 88 bombing raids. So today Hannover lacks it´s medieval heart.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Originally the Museum of "Kunst und Wissenschaft" (art and science) inaugurated in 1856 in the presence of George V of Hanover. After the annexation of Hanover by Prussia, the museum was integrated into the Provincial Museum, as it was called from 1869. The museum  ran out of space for its art collections, prompting the construction of the current building in 1902. Extensive renovations and modernisations were carried out in the interior from 1995 to 2000, reopening on 13 May 2000 as part of Expo 2000.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Today the museum comprises the state gallery (Landesgalerie), featuring paintings and sculptures from the Middle Ages to the 20th century, and departments of archaeology, natural history and ethnology.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Crucifix&lt;br /&gt;
wood, Hildesheim (?), 1120&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/65/18/52826518.f77a7c88.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="374" height="560" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/65/18/52826518.f77a7c88.240.jpg?r2" width="160" height="240"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/65/18/52826518.f77a7c88.100.jpg?r2" width="67" height="100"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Hannover - Landesmuseum</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52826504/in/album/1297622</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2025-03-27,doc-52826504</guid>
    <pubDate>Thu, 27 Mar 2025 11:42:31 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2024-10-01T12:01:38+01:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52826504/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/65/04/52826504.d49135c0.240.jpg?r2" width="172" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;With more than 500.000 inhabitants Hannover is the capital and largest city of the German state of Lower Saxony.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Hannover was founded in medieval times on the east bank of the River Leine. It was a small village of ferrymen and fishermen. It became a comparatively large town in the 13th century, receiving town privileges in 1241, owing to its position at natural crossroads It was connected to the Hanseatic city of Bremen by the Leine and was situated north-west of the Harz mountains so that east-west traffic passed through it.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Between 1714 and 1837 three kings of Great Britain were concurrently also Electoral Princes of Hanover.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
As an important railway and road junction and production centre, Hannover was a major target for strategic bombing during WW II. More than 90% of the city centre was destroyed in a total of 88 bombing raids. So today Hannover lacks it´s medieval heart.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Originally the Museum of "Kunst und Wissenschaft" (art and science) inaugurated in 1856 in the presence of George V of Hanover. After the annexation of Hanover by Prussia, the museum was integrated into the Provincial Museum, as it was called from 1869. The museum  ran out of space for its art collections, prompting the construction of the current building in 1902. Extensive renovations and modernisations were carried out in the interior from 1995 to 2000, reopening on 13 May 2000 as part of Expo 2000.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Today the museum comprises the state gallery (Landesgalerie), featuring paintings and sculptures from the Middle Ages to the 20th century, and departments of archaeology, natural history and ethnology.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Crucifix&lt;br /&gt;
wood, Westphalia, c 1350&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Jesus is clothed in a long tunic. This may refer to the "volto santo" in Lucca, which was highly revered in the Middle Ages.&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Hannover - Landesmuseum</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52826504/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/65/04/52826504.d49135c0.240.jpg?r2" width="172" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;With more than 500.000 inhabitants Hannover is the capital and largest city of the German state of Lower Saxony.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Hannover was founded in medieval times on the east bank of the River Leine. It was a small village of ferrymen and fishermen. It became a comparatively large town in the 13th century, receiving town privileges in 1241, owing to its position at natural crossroads It was connected to the Hanseatic city of Bremen by the Leine and was situated north-west of the Harz mountains so that east-west traffic passed through it.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Between 1714 and 1837 three kings of Great Britain were concurrently also Electoral Princes of Hanover.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
As an important railway and road junction and production centre, Hannover was a major target for strategic bombing during WW II. More than 90% of the city centre was destroyed in a total of 88 bombing raids. So today Hannover lacks it´s medieval heart.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Originally the Museum of "Kunst und Wissenschaft" (art and science) inaugurated in 1856 in the presence of George V of Hanover. After the annexation of Hanover by Prussia, the museum was integrated into the Provincial Museum, as it was called from 1869. The museum  ran out of space for its art collections, prompting the construction of the current building in 1902. Extensive renovations and modernisations were carried out in the interior from 1995 to 2000, reopening on 13 May 2000 as part of Expo 2000.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Today the museum comprises the state gallery (Landesgalerie), featuring paintings and sculptures from the Middle Ages to the 20th century, and departments of archaeology, natural history and ethnology.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Crucifix&lt;br /&gt;
wood, Westphalia, c 1350&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Jesus is clothed in a long tunic. This may refer to the "volto santo" in Lucca, which was highly revered in the Middle Ages.&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/65/04/52826504.d49135c0.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="400" height="560" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/65/04/52826504.d49135c0.240.jpg?r2" width="172" height="240"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/65/04/52826504.d49135c0.100.jpg?r2" width="72" height="100"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Newcastle - Cathedral</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52800288/in/album/1297622</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2025-03-07,doc-52800288</guid>
    <pubDate>Fri, 07 Mar 2025 20:50:16 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2024-09-01T13:40:49+01:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52800288/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/02/88/52800288.88bc5ff8.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="161" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Newcastle (officially Newcastle upon Tyne) developed around a Roman settlement called Pons Aelius. Later, being part of the kingdom of Northumbria, it was known as Monkchester. Conflicts with the Danes in 876 left the settlements along the River Tyne in ruins. Robert Curthose, oldest son of William the Conqueror, erected a wooden castle there in the year 1080 since then the town was known as New Castle. The wooden structure was replaced by a stone castle in 1087. After a rebellion against the Normans in 1088, the town was all but destroyed by Odo of Bayeux.Throughout the Middle Ages, Newcastle was England's northern fortress.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Soon after the construction of the Norman castle in 1080, the first parish church was built on its current site. It is mentioned as St Nicholas' Church in 1194. Around the same time, the wooden building was replaced by a stone church, which burned down twice in the following decades and was rebuilt larger. At the end of the 14th century, it was raised and given a clerestory. This gave it the shape of an elongated basilica with a transept. The tower with its characteristic openwork crown was added at the end of the 15th century.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Scottish reformer John Knox served here as minister from 1550 to 1553.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In the mid-19th century Newcastle experienced a huge increase in its population, leading to the construction of over 20 new churches in the suburbs. As Newcastle continued to grow, so did its need for a diocese separate from Durham, and so in 1882 the Diocese of Newcastle was formed, with St Nicholas's as its cathedral.&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Newcastle - Cathedral</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52800288/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/02/88/52800288.88bc5ff8.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="161" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Newcastle (officially Newcastle upon Tyne) developed around a Roman settlement called Pons Aelius. Later, being part of the kingdom of Northumbria, it was known as Monkchester. Conflicts with the Danes in 876 left the settlements along the River Tyne in ruins. Robert Curthose, oldest son of William the Conqueror, erected a wooden castle there in the year 1080 since then the town was known as New Castle. The wooden structure was replaced by a stone castle in 1087. After a rebellion against the Normans in 1088, the town was all but destroyed by Odo of Bayeux.Throughout the Middle Ages, Newcastle was England's northern fortress.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Soon after the construction of the Norman castle in 1080, the first parish church was built on its current site. It is mentioned as St Nicholas' Church in 1194. Around the same time, the wooden building was replaced by a stone church, which burned down twice in the following decades and was rebuilt larger. At the end of the 14th century, it was raised and given a clerestory. This gave it the shape of an elongated basilica with a transept. The tower with its characteristic openwork crown was added at the end of the 15th century.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Scottish reformer John Knox served here as minister from 1550 to 1553.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In the mid-19th century Newcastle experienced a huge increase in its population, leading to the construction of over 20 new churches in the suburbs. As Newcastle continued to grow, so did its need for a diocese separate from Durham, and so in 1882 the Diocese of Newcastle was formed, with St Nicholas's as its cathedral.&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/02/88/52800288.88bc5ff8.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="560" height="375" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/02/88/52800288.88bc5ff8.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="161"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/02/88/52800288.88bc5ff8.100.jpg?r2" width="100" height="67"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Villaviciosa - Santa María de la Oliva</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52657658/in/album/1297622</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2024-10-08,doc-52657658</guid>
    <pubDate>Tue, 08 Oct 2024 21:09:17 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2024-03-01T16:07:01+02:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52657658/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/76/58/52657658.17a3d6c0.240.jpg?r2" width="207" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;In the time of Alfonso IX , the settlement began to be formed thanks to the repopulation policy. In 1270, Alfonso X of Castile founded the current town by granting a town charter.  From the  14th century onwards the town was named Villaviciosa meaning  "fertile town."&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The church is erected in the late Romanesque style with some Gothic elements.  The granting of the charter by Alfonso X meant a very substantial growth of the town that led to the construction of this church. The church had of course several modifications over the years.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Crucifix&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Villaviciosa - Santa María de la Oliva</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52657658/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/76/58/52657658.17a3d6c0.240.jpg?r2" width="207" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;In the time of Alfonso IX , the settlement began to be formed thanks to the repopulation policy. In 1270, Alfonso X of Castile founded the current town by granting a town charter.  From the  14th century onwards the town was named Villaviciosa meaning  "fertile town."&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The church is erected in the late Romanesque style with some Gothic elements.  The granting of the charter by Alfonso X meant a very substantial growth of the town that led to the construction of this church. The church had of course several modifications over the years.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Crucifix&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/76/58/52657658.17a3d6c0.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="482" height="560" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/76/58/52657658.17a3d6c0.240.jpg?r2" width="207" height="240"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/76/58/52657658.17a3d6c0.100.jpg?r2" width="87" height="100"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Monasterio de Santa María de Valdediós</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52657082/in/album/1297622</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2024-10-08,doc-52657082</guid>
    <pubDate>Tue, 08 Oct 2024 11:12:36 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2024-03-01T15:18:41+02:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52657082/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/70/82/52657082.f4a50f35.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="154" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The monastery was founded in 1200 by King Alfonso IX of León and King Berenguela of Castile by donating a place to the Cistercian Order for the construction of a monastery there. It was erected next to the pre-Romanesque church of San Salvador de Valdediós (see prev uploads).&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The construction of the church began in 1218 under the direction of the master Gualterius, possibly of Frankish origin, and was completed around 1225. The monastery became an important and well-endowed abbey. After a decline  the monastery joined the Cistercian congregation in 1515.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
During the War of Independence, the monastery had to be abandoned from 1808 to 1812. It was dissolved in 1835, but some monks remained in the monastery, the last of whom died in 1862.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Crucification group&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Monasterio de Santa María de Valdediós</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52657082/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/70/82/52657082.f4a50f35.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="154" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The monastery was founded in 1200 by King Alfonso IX of León and King Berenguela of Castile by donating a place to the Cistercian Order for the construction of a monastery there. It was erected next to the pre-Romanesque church of San Salvador de Valdediós (see prev uploads).&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The construction of the church began in 1218 under the direction of the master Gualterius, possibly of Frankish origin, and was completed around 1225. The monastery became an important and well-endowed abbey. After a decline  the monastery joined the Cistercian congregation in 1515.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
During the War of Independence, the monastery had to be abandoned from 1808 to 1812. It was dissolved in 1835, but some monks remained in the monastery, the last of whom died in 1862.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Crucification group&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/70/82/52657082.f4a50f35.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="560" height="358" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/70/82/52657082.f4a50f35.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="154"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/70/82/52657082.f4a50f35.100.jpg?r2" width="100" height="64"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Southwell - Southwell Minster</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52469944/in/album/1297622</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2024-05-23,doc-52469944</guid>
    <pubDate>Thu, 23 May 2024 10:21:52 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2023-08-01T13:14:45+02:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52469944/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/99/44/52469944.a2f89507.240.jpg?r2" width="192" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The earliest church on the site is believed to have been founded in 627 by Paulinus, the first Archbishop of York, when he visited the area while baptising believers.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In 956 King Eadwig gave land in Southwell to Oskytel, Archbishop of York, on which a minster church was established. The Domesday Book of 1086 recorded the Southwell manor. The Norman reconstruction of the church began in 1108, probably as a rebuilding of the Anglo-Saxon church. Many stones from this earlier Anglo-Saxon church were reused in the construction. Work on the nave began after 1120 and the church was completed by c.1150.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Southwell is where Charles I surrendered to Scottish Presbyterian troops in 1646 during the English Civil War. The fighting saw the church seriously damaged and the nave is said to have been used as stabling.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In 1711 the southwest spire was struck by lightning, and the resulting fire spread to the nave, crossing and tower destroying roofs, bells, clock and organ.  By 1720 repairs had been completed, now giving a flat panelled ceiling to the nave and transepts.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In danger of collapse, the spires were removed in 1805 and re-erected in 1879–81 when the minster was extensively restored. The nave roof was replaced with a pitched roof and the quire was redesigned and refitted.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Triumphal Cross&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Southwell - Southwell Minster</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52469944/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/99/44/52469944.a2f89507.240.jpg?r2" width="192" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The earliest church on the site is believed to have been founded in 627 by Paulinus, the first Archbishop of York, when he visited the area while baptising believers.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In 956 King Eadwig gave land in Southwell to Oskytel, Archbishop of York, on which a minster church was established. The Domesday Book of 1086 recorded the Southwell manor. The Norman reconstruction of the church began in 1108, probably as a rebuilding of the Anglo-Saxon church. Many stones from this earlier Anglo-Saxon church were reused in the construction. Work on the nave began after 1120 and the church was completed by c.1150.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Southwell is where Charles I surrendered to Scottish Presbyterian troops in 1646 during the English Civil War. The fighting saw the church seriously damaged and the nave is said to have been used as stabling.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In 1711 the southwest spire was struck by lightning, and the resulting fire spread to the nave, crossing and tower destroying roofs, bells, clock and organ.  By 1720 repairs had been completed, now giving a flat panelled ceiling to the nave and transepts.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In danger of collapse, the spires were removed in 1805 and re-erected in 1879–81 when the minster was extensively restored. The nave roof was replaced with a pitched roof and the quire was redesigned and refitted.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Triumphal Cross&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/99/44/52469944.a2f89507.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="447" height="560" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/99/44/52469944.a2f89507.240.jpg?r2" width="192" height="240"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/99/44/52469944.a2f89507.100.jpg?r2" width="80" height="100"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Barnack - St John the Baptist</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52464536/in/album/1297622</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2024-05-18,doc-52464536</guid>
    <pubDate>Sat, 18 May 2024 19:38:34 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2023-08-01T17:18:33+02:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52464536/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/45/36/52464536.8ab2e475.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="204" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The limestone quarries in Barnack were already used by the Romans and many of the stones used to build Ely Cathedral in Anglo-Saxon and Norman times came from here.&lt;br /&gt;
St John the Baptist's Church is noted in particular for its Anglo-Saxon tower to which was added a spire of circa 1200, possibly one of the earliest spires in England.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In the north aisle is a large Romanesque sculpture of a seated Christ in Majesty that was discovered under the floor in 1931.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Triumphal Cross&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Barnack - St John the Baptist</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52464536/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/45/36/52464536.8ab2e475.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="204" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The limestone quarries in Barnack were already used by the Romans and many of the stones used to build Ely Cathedral in Anglo-Saxon and Norman times came from here.&lt;br /&gt;
St John the Baptist's Church is noted in particular for its Anglo-Saxon tower to which was added a spire of circa 1200, possibly one of the earliest spires in England.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In the north aisle is a large Romanesque sculpture of a seated Christ in Majesty that was discovered under the floor in 1931.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Triumphal Cross&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/45/36/52464536.8ab2e475.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="560" height="476" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/45/36/52464536.8ab2e475.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="204"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/45/36/52464536.8ab2e475.100.jpg?r2" width="100" height="85"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Earls Barton - All Saints</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52462560/in/album/1297622</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2024-05-16,doc-52462560</guid>
    <pubDate>Thu, 16 May 2024 21:02:25 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2023-08-01T15:37:19+02:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52462560/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/25/60/52462560.34897e32.240.jpg?r2" width="168" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Immediately prior to 1066, the place was held by Bondi the Staller, an Anglo-Danish noble, and senior member of Edward the Confessor's household. Around 1070, it passed to Waltheof, Earl of Northumbria, who in 1070 had married Judith of Lens, niece of William the Conqueror. He is recorded in the Domesday Book as owner of the land and mill of Buarton(e).&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The Anglo Saxon All Saints' Church dates from the later tenth century, shortly after Danish raids on England.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The tower (21m high) at Earls Barton was probably originally a tower nave, the ground floor serving as the main body of the church with a small chancel annexed. A doorway on the south side of the tower, and originally another opening on the west face, allowed access to the outside. The tower is constructed of stone rubble and rendered on the outside, and is decorated with vertical limestone pilaster strips. At the corners of the tower, the walls are strengthened by long vertical stones bedded on horizontal slabs. The way in which the tower is decorated is unique to Anglo-Saxon architecture.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In the 12th century the small Anglo-Saxon chancel, narrower than the tower, was  replaced by a nave so that the tower now stands at the west end. This nave was enlarged later in the 12th century and then renovated in the 13th and early 14th centuries. The east end of the chancel is 13th century.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The Triumphal Cross is part of the 15th century rood screen.&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Earls Barton - All Saints</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52462560/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/25/60/52462560.34897e32.240.jpg?r2" width="168" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Immediately prior to 1066, the place was held by Bondi the Staller, an Anglo-Danish noble, and senior member of Edward the Confessor's household. Around 1070, it passed to Waltheof, Earl of Northumbria, who in 1070 had married Judith of Lens, niece of William the Conqueror. He is recorded in the Domesday Book as owner of the land and mill of Buarton(e).&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The Anglo Saxon All Saints' Church dates from the later tenth century, shortly after Danish raids on England.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The tower (21m high) at Earls Barton was probably originally a tower nave, the ground floor serving as the main body of the church with a small chancel annexed. A doorway on the south side of the tower, and originally another opening on the west face, allowed access to the outside. The tower is constructed of stone rubble and rendered on the outside, and is decorated with vertical limestone pilaster strips. At the corners of the tower, the walls are strengthened by long vertical stones bedded on horizontal slabs. The way in which the tower is decorated is unique to Anglo-Saxon architecture.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In the 12th century the small Anglo-Saxon chancel, narrower than the tower, was  replaced by a nave so that the tower now stands at the west end. This nave was enlarged later in the 12th century and then renovated in the 13th and early 14th centuries. The east end of the chancel is 13th century.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The Triumphal Cross is part of the 15th century rood screen.&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/25/60/52462560.34897e32.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="392" height="560" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/25/60/52462560.34897e32.240.jpg?r2" width="168" height="240"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/25/60/52462560.34897e32.100.jpg?r2" width="70" height="100"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Daglingworth - Church of the Holy Rood</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52438812/in/album/1297622</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2024-04-29,doc-52438812</guid>
    <pubDate>Mon, 29 Apr 2024 19:42:31 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2023-07-01T16:45:41+02:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52438812/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/88/12/52438812.021a0575.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="216" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The Church of the Holy Rood was built in the 11th century and extended, including the tower, in the 15th. A Victorian restoration, between 1845 and 1850, included the addition of the north aisle and rebuilding the chancel.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The limestone building consists of a nave with south porch, chancel, north aisle and west tower.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
A series of Saxon carvings, including one of the crucifixion, were rediscovered during rebuilding work in 1850. They predate the Norman conquest. They are dated to around 1050. The carvings were originally built into the chancel arch and are now in the nave.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
This cross looks like a small scale copy of the large (and older) cross in neighboring Langford&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Daglingworth - Church of the Holy Rood</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52438812/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/88/12/52438812.021a0575.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="216" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The Church of the Holy Rood was built in the 11th century and extended, including the tower, in the 15th. A Victorian restoration, between 1845 and 1850, included the addition of the north aisle and rebuilding the chancel.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The limestone building consists of a nave with south porch, chancel, north aisle and west tower.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
A series of Saxon carvings, including one of the crucifixion, were rediscovered during rebuilding work in 1850. They predate the Norman conquest. They are dated to around 1050. The carvings were originally built into the chancel arch and are now in the nave.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
This cross looks like a small scale copy of the large (and older) cross in neighboring Langford&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/88/12/52438812.021a0575.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="560" height="502" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/88/12/52438812.021a0575.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="216"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/88/12/52438812.021a0575.100.jpg?r2" width="100" height="90"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Daglingworth - Church of the Holy Rood</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52438790/in/album/1297622</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2024-04-29,doc-52438790</guid>
    <pubDate>Mon, 29 Apr 2024 19:33:49 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2023-07-01T16:44:24+02:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52438790/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/87/90/52438790.5a3f7717.240.jpg?r2" width="200" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The Church of the Holy Rood was built in the 11th century and extended, including the tower, in the 15th. A Victorian restoration, between 1845 and 1850, included the addition of the north aisle and rebuilding the chancel.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The limestone building consists of a nave with south porch, chancel, north aisle and west tower.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
A series of Saxon carvings, including one of the crucifixion, were rediscovered during rebuilding work in 1850. They predate the Norman conquest. They are dated to around 1050. The carvings were originally built into the chancel arch and are now in the nave.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The Crucfication&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Daglingworth - Church of the Holy Rood</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52438790/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/87/90/52438790.5a3f7717.240.jpg?r2" width="200" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The Church of the Holy Rood was built in the 11th century and extended, including the tower, in the 15th. A Victorian restoration, between 1845 and 1850, included the addition of the north aisle and rebuilding the chancel.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The limestone building consists of a nave with south porch, chancel, north aisle and west tower.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
A series of Saxon carvings, including one of the crucifixion, were rediscovered during rebuilding work in 1850. They predate the Norman conquest. They are dated to around 1050. The carvings were originally built into the chancel arch and are now in the nave.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The Crucfication&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/87/90/52438790.5a3f7717.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="466" height="560" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/87/90/52438790.5a3f7717.240.jpg?r2" width="200" height="240"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/87/90/52438790.5a3f7717.100.jpg?r2" width="84" height="100"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Langford - St Matthew&amp;#039;s Church</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52438262/in/album/1297622</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2024-04-29,doc-52438262</guid>
    <pubDate>Mon, 29 Apr 2024 11:50:53 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2023-07-01T15:39:49+02:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52438262/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/82/62/52438262.12357795.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="169" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The Domesday Book of 1086 records that a Saxon, Ælfsige of Faringdon, held the manor here.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
St Matthew's was established as a chapelry of the Anglo-Saxon minster of St. Mary's, Bampton. Later in the Anglo-Saxon era Langford was elevated to a minster. Langford was part of the Diocese of Lincoln until the Diocese of Oxford was established under Henry VIII in 1541.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The oldest parts of the present church are the bell tower and nave, which were built in  the 11th century. They may post-date the Norman conquest of England, but they are work by Anglo-Saxon masons.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The north and south aisles were added in about 1200 and the south porch in the 13th century, all in the Early English Gothic style.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The porch includes two Anglo-Saxon stone rood reliefs, but they are repositioned and their original sites are not known. The one on the east wall of the porch is 8th century and has lost its head. The one on the south gable of the porch is 10th century and has been assembled with Christ's left and right arms swapped over and the figures of Saint Mary and Saint John the Evangelist also transposed.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The south gable&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Langford - St Matthew&amp;#039;s Church</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52438262/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/82/62/52438262.12357795.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="169" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The Domesday Book of 1086 records that a Saxon, Ælfsige of Faringdon, held the manor here.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
St Matthew's was established as a chapelry of the Anglo-Saxon minster of St. Mary's, Bampton. Later in the Anglo-Saxon era Langford was elevated to a minster. Langford was part of the Diocese of Lincoln until the Diocese of Oxford was established under Henry VIII in 1541.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The oldest parts of the present church are the bell tower and nave, which were built in  the 11th century. They may post-date the Norman conquest of England, but they are work by Anglo-Saxon masons.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The north and south aisles were added in about 1200 and the south porch in the 13th century, all in the Early English Gothic style.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The porch includes two Anglo-Saxon stone rood reliefs, but they are repositioned and their original sites are not known. The one on the east wall of the porch is 8th century and has lost its head. The one on the south gable of the porch is 10th century and has been assembled with Christ's left and right arms swapped over and the figures of Saint Mary and Saint John the Evangelist also transposed.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The south gable&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/82/62/52438262.12357795.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="560" height="395" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/82/62/52438262.12357795.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="169"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/82/62/52438262.12357795.100.jpg?r2" width="100" height="71"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Langford - St Matthew&amp;#039;s Church</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52438250/in/album/1297622</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2024-04-29,doc-52438250</guid>
    <pubDate>Mon, 29 Apr 2024 11:41:31 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2023-07-01T15:41:36+02:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52438250/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/82/50/52438250.b2340bde.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="176" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The Domesday Book of 1086 records that a Saxon, Ælfsige of Faringdon, held the manor here.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
St Matthew's was established as a chapelry of the Anglo-Saxon minster of St. Mary's, Bampton. Later in the Anglo-Saxon era Langford was elevated to a minster. Langford was part of the Diocese of Lincoln until the Diocese of Oxford was established under Henry VIII in 1541.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The oldest parts of the present church are the bell tower and nave, which were built in  the 11th century. They may post-date the Norman conquest of England, but they are work by Anglo-Saxon masons.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The north and south aisles were added in about 1200 and the south porch in the 13th century, all in the Early English Gothic style.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The porch includes two Anglo-Saxon stone rood reliefs, but they are repositioned and their original sites are not known. The one on the east wall of the porch is 8th century and has lost its head. The one on the south gable of the porch is 10th century and has been assembled with Christ's left and right arms swapped over and the figures of Saint Mary and Saint John the Evangelist also transposed.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The 8th century crucifix - a triumphal cross&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Langford - St Matthew&amp;#039;s Church</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52438250/in/album/1297622"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/82/50/52438250.b2340bde.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="176" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The Domesday Book of 1086 records that a Saxon, Ælfsige of Faringdon, held the manor here.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
St Matthew's was established as a chapelry of the Anglo-Saxon minster of St. Mary's, Bampton. Later in the Anglo-Saxon era Langford was elevated to a minster. Langford was part of the Diocese of Lincoln until the Diocese of Oxford was established under Henry VIII in 1541.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The oldest parts of the present church are the bell tower and nave, which were built in  the 11th century. They may post-date the Norman conquest of England, but they are work by Anglo-Saxon masons.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The north and south aisles were added in about 1200 and the south porch in the 13th century, all in the Early English Gothic style.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The porch includes two Anglo-Saxon stone rood reliefs, but they are repositioned and their original sites are not known. The one on the east wall of the porch is 8th century and has lost its head. The one on the south gable of the porch is 10th century and has been assembled with Christ's left and right arms swapped over and the figures of Saint Mary and Saint John the Evangelist also transposed.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The 8th century crucifix - a triumphal cross&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/82/50/52438250.b2340bde.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="560" height="410" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/82/50/52438250.b2340bde.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="176"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/82/50/52438250.b2340bde.100.jpg?r2" width="100" height="74"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
</channel>
</rss>