<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<rss version="2.0" xmlns:media="http://search.yahoo.com/mrss/" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">
<channel>
  <title>Album Descent from the Cross / Deposition from the Cross from Martin M. Miles</title>
  <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/album/1354186</link>
  <image>
    <url>https://cdn.ipernity.com/p/105/57/EF/323415.buddy.jpg</url>
    <title>Album Descent from the Cross / Deposition from the Cross from Martin M. Miles</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/album/1354186</link>
  </image>
  <description></description>
  <pubDate>Sat, 29 Aug 2026 16:51:32 +0000</pubDate>
  <lastBuildDate>Sat, 29 Aug 2026 16:51:32 +0000</lastBuildDate>
  <generator>https://www.ipernity.com</generator>
  <item>
    <title>Paris  -  Musée de Cluny</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53202988/in/album/1354186</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2026-01-10,doc-53202988</guid>
    <pubDate>Sat, 10 Jan 2026 16:31:42 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2025-08-01T12:04:27+01:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53202988/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/29/88/53202988.dffb3c23.240.jpg?r2" width="231" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The Hôtel de Cluny was built in the late 15th century on the site of an older building constructed after the Abbey of Cluny acquired the ancient Roman baths in 1340.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The manor house was rebuilt under Jacques d’Amboise, Abbot Commander of Cluny (1485–1510). In the 18th century, the tower of the Hôtel de Cluny served as an observatory for the astronomers Joseph-Nicolas Delisle, Jérôme Lalande, and Charles Messier. During the French Revolution in 1789, the manor house was confiscated.&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
In 1832, the archaeologist and art collector Alexandre Du Sommerard acquired the Hôtel de Cluny and used it to display his extensive collection of medieval artifacts. After his death, the collection became the property of the French state. The building opened as a museum in 1843.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The museum underwent a complete renovation over three years and reopened in 2022.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Triptych &lt;br /&gt;
known as the &lt;br /&gt;
"Saint du Sulpice de Tarn Triptych"&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Ivory, Paris about 1300&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
lower register: &lt;br /&gt;
Adoration of the Magi, Virgin and Child, Presentation at the Temple, &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
upper register: &lt;br /&gt;
Christ carrying the Cross, Crucifixion, Deposition from the Cross&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Paris  -  Musée de Cluny</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53202988/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/29/88/53202988.dffb3c23.240.jpg?r2" width="231" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The Hôtel de Cluny was built in the late 15th century on the site of an older building constructed after the Abbey of Cluny acquired the ancient Roman baths in 1340.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The manor house was rebuilt under Jacques d’Amboise, Abbot Commander of Cluny (1485–1510). In the 18th century, the tower of the Hôtel de Cluny served as an observatory for the astronomers Joseph-Nicolas Delisle, Jérôme Lalande, and Charles Messier. During the French Revolution in 1789, the manor house was confiscated.&lt;br /&gt;
 &lt;br /&gt;
In 1832, the archaeologist and art collector Alexandre Du Sommerard acquired the Hôtel de Cluny and used it to display his extensive collection of medieval artifacts. After his death, the collection became the property of the French state. The building opened as a museum in 1843.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The museum underwent a complete renovation over three years and reopened in 2022.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Triptych &lt;br /&gt;
known as the &lt;br /&gt;
"Saint du Sulpice de Tarn Triptych"&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Ivory, Paris about 1300&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
lower register: &lt;br /&gt;
Adoration of the Magi, Virgin and Child, Presentation at the Temple, &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
upper register: &lt;br /&gt;
Christ carrying the Cross, Crucifixion, Deposition from the Cross&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/29/88/53202988.dffb3c23.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="539" height="560" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/29/88/53202988.dffb3c23.240.jpg?r2" width="231" height="240"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/29/88/53202988.dffb3c23.100.jpg?r2" width="97" height="100"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Hildesheim - Dommuseum</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/51494572/in/album/1354186</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2022-08-08,doc-51494572</guid>
    <pubDate>Mon, 08 Aug 2022 08:11:00 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2021-10-01T16:17:28+02:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/51494572/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/45/72/51494572.f2428d65.240.jpg?r2" width="199" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.&lt;br /&gt;
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
-&lt;br /&gt;
Bishop Gunthar, who was in office in Hildesheim from 815 to 834 had a small basilica built. This served as the original cathedral. The next cathedral was built by Bishop Altfried in 872 as a cruciform three-aisled basilica with a two-story westwork. The building suffered severe fire damage in 1046. Bishop Hezilo built then incorporated the surviving walls into the new building using the foundation of the former basilica. Until the 14th century, further profound changes took place, but without deviating from the ground plan of the basilica. The side chapels date from the Gothic period. From 1840 to 1850, the original west building, which had fallen into disrepair, was replaced by a neo-Romanesque double tower front, which remained in place until 1945.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
During the air raids on Hildesheim in WWII, the cathedral was completely destroyed except for the west building, the southern nave arcades, and the outer walls. Only the crypt and the Laurentius Chapel from the 11th century were preserved.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The cathedral was rebuilt in a simplified form between 1950 and 1960. The baroque elements were abandoned in favor of a form that took its cue from the early Romanesque style.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
-&lt;br /&gt;
The "Dommuseum" is the "Schatzkammer" (treasury) of the cathedral. It is located in historic rooms off the southern transept of the Cathedral, the church of St Antonius and part of the cathedral cloisters.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Deposition from the Cross, 12th century, Northern Italy&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Hildesheim - Dommuseum</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/51494572/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/45/72/51494572.f2428d65.240.jpg?r2" width="199" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.&lt;br /&gt;
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
-&lt;br /&gt;
Bishop Gunthar, who was in office in Hildesheim from 815 to 834 had a small basilica built. This served as the original cathedral. The next cathedral was built by Bishop Altfried in 872 as a cruciform three-aisled basilica with a two-story westwork. The building suffered severe fire damage in 1046. Bishop Hezilo built then incorporated the surviving walls into the new building using the foundation of the former basilica. Until the 14th century, further profound changes took place, but without deviating from the ground plan of the basilica. The side chapels date from the Gothic period. From 1840 to 1850, the original west building, which had fallen into disrepair, was replaced by a neo-Romanesque double tower front, which remained in place until 1945.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
During the air raids on Hildesheim in WWII, the cathedral was completely destroyed except for the west building, the southern nave arcades, and the outer walls. Only the crypt and the Laurentius Chapel from the 11th century were preserved.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The cathedral was rebuilt in a simplified form between 1950 and 1960. The baroque elements were abandoned in favor of a form that took its cue from the early Romanesque style.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
-&lt;br /&gt;
The "Dommuseum" is the "Schatzkammer" (treasury) of the cathedral. It is located in historic rooms off the southern transept of the Cathedral, the church of St Antonius and part of the cathedral cloisters.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Deposition from the Cross, 12th century, Northern Italy&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/45/72/51494572.f2428d65.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="464" height="560" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/45/72/51494572.f2428d65.240.jpg?r2" width="199" height="240"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/45/72/51494572.f2428d65.100.jpg?r2" width="83" height="100"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Stralsund - Nikolaikirche</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/51050684/in/album/1354186</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2021-11-02,doc-51050684</guid>
    <pubDate>Tue, 02 Nov 2021 21:51:15 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2021-07-01T00:00:00+01:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/51050684/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/06/84/51050684.7bdc26e2.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="213" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Slavic Ranen lived on the island of Ruegen and the mainland opposite the island. They were independent heathens up to the middle of the 12th century, and so maybe the last non-Christian people in Central Europe.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In 1168 Danish King Valdemar I defeated the Ranen and destroyed "Jaromarsburg" their main sanctuary. After the Danish victory, the Slavic princes became feudatories of the Danish crown and accepted the Christian faith.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
They founded Strale, which prospered because of the rich herring stocks in the waters, many merchants settled here who saw this as their basis for trade. Already in 1234 Slavic Prince Wizlaw I granted the village the town charter (Lübsches Stadtrecht). Stralsund now became an important trading town in the Baltic region, mainly due to settlers from Westphalia. The German settlers clearly outnumbered the Slavic population already around 1300. From 1325 on Stralsund belonged to Pomerania-Wolgast. In the 14th century, it was the most important Hanseatic city in the southern Baltic region after Lübeck.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The 15th century was Stralsund's heyday. Long-distance trade was the most important economic factor.  Around 1450, 350 merchants were involved in such trade. In 1488, 50 skippers founded the "St. Marienbruderschaft der Schiffer", the forerunner of the still existing "Stralsund Schiffercompagnie".&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
As early as 1525, the majority of Stralsund's citizens converted to the Protestant faith. After the Thirty Years' War Stralsund belonged to the Kingdom of Sweden for almost 200 years. In 1815 Stralsund came to Prussia.&lt;br /&gt;
-&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The town hall and the Nikolaikirche form an impressive architectural ensemble. The planning and construction of the church went hand in hand with the planning of the town hall. The city council was even the trustee for the construction of the new church. The church was initially built as a hall church but following the example of Lübeck's Marienkirche, the unfinished Nikolaikirche was rebuilt into a basilica around 1270.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
From the beginning, the church was built with brick produces in the region. Around 1308, the enclosing wall of the choir was closed. This is the result of dendrochronological investigations.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
With the start of construction work on the new choir pillars, the eastern part of the predecessor church, which had still been used until then, was finally demolished. An invoice from 1314 for the ridge turret of the choir indicates the date of completion of this section.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Construction of the tower to the west began as early as 1300. Around 1314, when the tower had reached the height of the choir enclosure at 13 metres, the council decided to have two towers built.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Around 1350, the construction of the nave between the two towers was completed. &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
-&lt;br /&gt;
The altar is named "Altar der Buergermeister" (Altar of the Mayors), as it was donated by the mayors Henning Mörder and Sabel Oseborn. The donation was made around 1511, just before the Reformation. &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The deposition from the cross can be seen with the mourners on the left side. Nicodemus stands at the foot of the cross, stretching his hands to catch the body and and Joseph of Arimathea.&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Stralsund - Nikolaikirche</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/51050684/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/06/84/51050684.7bdc26e2.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="213" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Slavic Ranen lived on the island of Ruegen and the mainland opposite the island. They were independent heathens up to the middle of the 12th century, and so maybe the last non-Christian people in Central Europe.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In 1168 Danish King Valdemar I defeated the Ranen and destroyed "Jaromarsburg" their main sanctuary. After the Danish victory, the Slavic princes became feudatories of the Danish crown and accepted the Christian faith.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
They founded Strale, which prospered because of the rich herring stocks in the waters, many merchants settled here who saw this as their basis for trade. Already in 1234 Slavic Prince Wizlaw I granted the village the town charter (Lübsches Stadtrecht). Stralsund now became an important trading town in the Baltic region, mainly due to settlers from Westphalia. The German settlers clearly outnumbered the Slavic population already around 1300. From 1325 on Stralsund belonged to Pomerania-Wolgast. In the 14th century, it was the most important Hanseatic city in the southern Baltic region after Lübeck.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The 15th century was Stralsund's heyday. Long-distance trade was the most important economic factor.  Around 1450, 350 merchants were involved in such trade. In 1488, 50 skippers founded the "St. Marienbruderschaft der Schiffer", the forerunner of the still existing "Stralsund Schiffercompagnie".&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
As early as 1525, the majority of Stralsund's citizens converted to the Protestant faith. After the Thirty Years' War Stralsund belonged to the Kingdom of Sweden for almost 200 years. In 1815 Stralsund came to Prussia.&lt;br /&gt;
-&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The town hall and the Nikolaikirche form an impressive architectural ensemble. The planning and construction of the church went hand in hand with the planning of the town hall. The city council was even the trustee for the construction of the new church. The church was initially built as a hall church but following the example of Lübeck's Marienkirche, the unfinished Nikolaikirche was rebuilt into a basilica around 1270.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
From the beginning, the church was built with brick produces in the region. Around 1308, the enclosing wall of the choir was closed. This is the result of dendrochronological investigations.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
With the start of construction work on the new choir pillars, the eastern part of the predecessor church, which had still been used until then, was finally demolished. An invoice from 1314 for the ridge turret of the choir indicates the date of completion of this section.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Construction of the tower to the west began as early as 1300. Around 1314, when the tower had reached the height of the choir enclosure at 13 metres, the council decided to have two towers built.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Around 1350, the construction of the nave between the two towers was completed. &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
-&lt;br /&gt;
The altar is named "Altar der Buergermeister" (Altar of the Mayors), as it was donated by the mayors Henning Mörder and Sabel Oseborn. The donation was made around 1511, just before the Reformation. &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The deposition from the cross can be seen with the mourners on the left side. Nicodemus stands at the foot of the cross, stretching his hands to catch the body and and Joseph of Arimathea.&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/06/84/51050684.7bdc26e2.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="560" height="497" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/06/84/51050684.7bdc26e2.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="213"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/06/84/51050684.7bdc26e2.100.jpg?r2" width="100" height="89"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Dortmund - Marienkirche</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53029460/in/album/1354186</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2025-07-26,doc-53029460</guid>
    <pubDate>Sat, 26 Jul 2025 20:53:48 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2025-04-01T14:39:11+02:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53029460/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/94/60/53029460.fe4b231a.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="133" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The church was built on the Hellweg, a main Medieval road connecting the free imperial town Dortmund with others. Historians suspect that the visits of Emperor Frederick I Barbarossa and his son Henry VI to the Imperial Palace in Dortmund led to the construction of the Marienkirche.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
 It was erected between 1170 and 1200  to serve the town's council and jurisdiction. It is the oldest extant church in Dortmund's inner city. Around 1350, a choir in Gothic architecture was built. It served as a model for the Reinoldikirche, which was built opposite of the road.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The church was destroyed in World War II, but rebuilt. &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The Berswordt Altar&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The paintings on the winged altarpiece date from before 1390 and depict the Annunciation to Mary on the exterior, while the interior depicts a Passion of Christ concentrated in three scenes. The name of the altarpiece goes back to the Berswordt family, whose coat of arms can be found in the corners.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The left panel of the aktar depicts Jesus Carrying the Cross. Simon of Cyrene is forced to help him. While the soldiers' servants beat him forward, several women mourn him.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The middle panel summarizes various episodes of Christ's crucifixion. It shows the collapse of Mary, supported by John. At the foot of the cross, demonic figures haggle over Jesus' robe. At the center of the middle panel is the cross with the dying Jesus, also depicting the lance thrust into his side. To the right and left of Jesus hang the thieves crucified with him. The soul of the repentant one is taken by an angel, that of the hardened one by a devil.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The right panel depicts the Deposition from the Cross. The action is limited to a few people, unlike the abundance of scenes in the central image. Joseph of Arimathea holds the body of Jesus in his arms, while others remove the nails from his feet with pliers and detach his left arm from the cross. &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The painter unknown by name; he is referred to by the name "Master of the Berswordt Retable". It has been suggested that the altarpiece is an early work by Conrad von Soest, however, this is disputed.&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Dortmund - Marienkirche</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/53029460/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/94/60/53029460.fe4b231a.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="133" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The church was built on the Hellweg, a main Medieval road connecting the free imperial town Dortmund with others. Historians suspect that the visits of Emperor Frederick I Barbarossa and his son Henry VI to the Imperial Palace in Dortmund led to the construction of the Marienkirche.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
 It was erected between 1170 and 1200  to serve the town's council and jurisdiction. It is the oldest extant church in Dortmund's inner city. Around 1350, a choir in Gothic architecture was built. It served as a model for the Reinoldikirche, which was built opposite of the road.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The church was destroyed in World War II, but rebuilt. &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The Berswordt Altar&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The paintings on the winged altarpiece date from before 1390 and depict the Annunciation to Mary on the exterior, while the interior depicts a Passion of Christ concentrated in three scenes. The name of the altarpiece goes back to the Berswordt family, whose coat of arms can be found in the corners.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The left panel of the aktar depicts Jesus Carrying the Cross. Simon of Cyrene is forced to help him. While the soldiers' servants beat him forward, several women mourn him.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The middle panel summarizes various episodes of Christ's crucifixion. It shows the collapse of Mary, supported by John. At the foot of the cross, demonic figures haggle over Jesus' robe. At the center of the middle panel is the cross with the dying Jesus, also depicting the lance thrust into his side. To the right and left of Jesus hang the thieves crucified with him. The soul of the repentant one is taken by an angel, that of the hardened one by a devil.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The right panel depicts the Deposition from the Cross. The action is limited to a few people, unlike the abundance of scenes in the central image. Joseph of Arimathea holds the body of Jesus in his arms, while others remove the nails from his feet with pliers and detach his left arm from the cross. &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The painter unknown by name; he is referred to by the name "Master of the Berswordt Retable". It has been suggested that the altarpiece is an early work by Conrad von Soest, however, this is disputed.&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/94/60/53029460.fe4b231a.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="560" height="309" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/94/60/53029460.fe4b231a.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="133"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/94/60/53029460.fe4b231a.100.jpg?r2" width="100" height="56"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Berlin - Bode-Museum</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52973934/in/album/1354186</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2025-06-22,doc-52973934</guid>
    <pubDate>Sun, 22 Jun 2025 17:06:39 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2025-03-01T13:44:04+02:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52973934/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/39/34/52973934.4b1ae6d2.240.jpg?r2" width="176" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The Bode Museum (formerly called "Kaiser-Friedrich-Museum), is a building on the Museum Island. It was built from 1898 to 1904 by order of German Emperor William II according to plans by Ernst von Ihne in Baroque Revival style.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
During WWII the building suffered comparatively the least damage on Museum Island, but it was not until 1951 that it received a temporary roof. After the end of the war, the new Berlin city administration had all references to former rulers removed and in 1956, Johannes R. Becher, then Minister of Culture of the GDR, ceremoniously renamed the Kaiser Friedrich Museum the Bode Museum.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
As part of the Museum Island complex, the Bode-Museum was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1999.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Descent from the Cross&lt;br /&gt;
Trier (?) / mid 11th c&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Berlin - Bode-Museum</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52973934/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/39/34/52973934.4b1ae6d2.240.jpg?r2" width="176" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The Bode Museum (formerly called "Kaiser-Friedrich-Museum), is a building on the Museum Island. It was built from 1898 to 1904 by order of German Emperor William II according to plans by Ernst von Ihne in Baroque Revival style.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
During WWII the building suffered comparatively the least damage on Museum Island, but it was not until 1951 that it received a temporary roof. After the end of the war, the new Berlin city administration had all references to former rulers removed and in 1956, Johannes R. Becher, then Minister of Culture of the GDR, ceremoniously renamed the Kaiser Friedrich Museum the Bode Museum.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
As part of the Museum Island complex, the Bode-Museum was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1999.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Descent from the Cross&lt;br /&gt;
Trier (?) / mid 11th c&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/39/34/52973934.4b1ae6d2.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="409" height="560" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/39/34/52973934.4b1ae6d2.240.jpg?r2" width="176" height="240"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/39/34/52973934.4b1ae6d2.100.jpg?r2" width="73" height="100"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Pamplona - Museo de Navarra</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52514512/in/album/1354186</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2024-06-26,doc-52514512</guid>
    <pubDate>Wed, 26 Jun 2024 16:37:08 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2023-12-01T13:04:16+02:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52514512/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/45/12/52514512.bf1fdf56.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="224" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;In 74 BC, the Roman city was founded by Pompejus on the site of a local settlement. The city served to secure the Pyrenees crossing from Roncesvalles.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Pamplona was destroyed several times in the course of its history:&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
466 by the Visigoths, 542 by the Franks, 778 by Charlemagne, 924 by Abd ar-Rahman III and in 1521 during the Franco-Spanish War by troops of Francis I.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Its location on the Way of St. James from France gave the capital of the Kingdom of Navarre a boom in the 11th century. With the division of Navarre, the city ultimately came to Spain.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
After the conquest of the country and its incorporation into Castile in 1512-1515, Pamplona became one of the outposts of the Spanish crown on the French border. Its mission for 300 years was to secure the border against a possible invasion from France. Fortifications and walls were a vital system of defense, but at the same time prevented the city from expanding.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The museum is located in the old hospital “Nuestra Señora de la Misericordia de Pamplona” from the 16th century. However, only the facade with the main entrance and the former chapel remain of the hospital.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The Descent from the Cross&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Created by the "Maestro del claustro de la Catedral de Pamplona". ca 1150&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Pamplona - Museo de Navarra</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52514512/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/45/12/52514512.bf1fdf56.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="224" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;In 74 BC, the Roman city was founded by Pompejus on the site of a local settlement. The city served to secure the Pyrenees crossing from Roncesvalles.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Pamplona was destroyed several times in the course of its history:&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
466 by the Visigoths, 542 by the Franks, 778 by Charlemagne, 924 by Abd ar-Rahman III and in 1521 during the Franco-Spanish War by troops of Francis I.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Its location on the Way of St. James from France gave the capital of the Kingdom of Navarre a boom in the 11th century. With the division of Navarre, the city ultimately came to Spain.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
After the conquest of the country and its incorporation into Castile in 1512-1515, Pamplona became one of the outposts of the Spanish crown on the French border. Its mission for 300 years was to secure the border against a possible invasion from France. Fortifications and walls were a vital system of defense, but at the same time prevented the city from expanding.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The museum is located in the old hospital “Nuestra Señora de la Misericordia de Pamplona” from the 16th century. However, only the facade with the main entrance and the former chapel remain of the hospital.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The Descent from the Cross&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Created by the "Maestro del claustro de la Catedral de Pamplona". ca 1150&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/45/12/52514512.bf1fdf56.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="560" height="522" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/45/12/52514512.bf1fdf56.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="224"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/45/12/52514512.bf1fdf56.100.jpg?r2" width="100" height="94"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Segovia - Catedral de Segovia</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52164332/in/album/1354186</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2023-10-19,doc-52164332</guid>
    <pubDate>Thu, 19 Oct 2023 19:53:48 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2022-12-01T15:38:14+02:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52164332/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/43/32/52164332.d350c410.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="167" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;A Celtic castle existed here, from which resistance against the Romans originated. The city was nevertheless taken. Afterward, it began to be built as a Roman city and became an important Roman military base.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In the second half of the 5th century, Segovia became part of the Visigoth Empire. From the 8th to the 11th centuries, Segovia was under Moorish possession. In 1085  Alfonso VI conquered the city. From the 13th to the 15th century it was a royal residence.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The predecessor of the Catedral de Segovia (aka "Santa Iglesia Catedral de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción y de San Frutos de Segovia" was a church that began around 1140 when Segovia was repopulated under Alfonso VII. This  church was destroyed during a popular uprising in Castile in 1520. In 1525 the cathedral chapter decided to build a new building. The foundation stone was laid in 1525. In 1558 the building was completed up to the transept and was consecrated as a cathedral. It was erected in a late Gothic style, outdated elsewhere in Europe.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In 1614 the large spire was destroyed by lightning. It was made of mahogany imported from America and covered with fire-gilded lead. The cathedral ceilings were also damaged by the fire. During a restoration around 1620, the tower was given its current shape, reduced by 12 m in height.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The cathedral was finally consecrated in 1768. It is 105 m long and 50 m wide. The central nave is 33 m high.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The cathedral houses a large number of paintings.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Flemish painter Ambrosius Benson / ~ 1530 / Triptych of the Descent /&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Segovia - Catedral de Segovia</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52164332/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/43/32/52164332.d350c410.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="167" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;A Celtic castle existed here, from which resistance against the Romans originated. The city was nevertheless taken. Afterward, it began to be built as a Roman city and became an important Roman military base.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In the second half of the 5th century, Segovia became part of the Visigoth Empire. From the 8th to the 11th centuries, Segovia was under Moorish possession. In 1085  Alfonso VI conquered the city. From the 13th to the 15th century it was a royal residence.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The predecessor of the Catedral de Segovia (aka "Santa Iglesia Catedral de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción y de San Frutos de Segovia" was a church that began around 1140 when Segovia was repopulated under Alfonso VII. This  church was destroyed during a popular uprising in Castile in 1520. In 1525 the cathedral chapter decided to build a new building. The foundation stone was laid in 1525. In 1558 the building was completed up to the transept and was consecrated as a cathedral. It was erected in a late Gothic style, outdated elsewhere in Europe.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In 1614 the large spire was destroyed by lightning. It was made of mahogany imported from America and covered with fire-gilded lead. The cathedral ceilings were also damaged by the fire. During a restoration around 1620, the tower was given its current shape, reduced by 12 m in height.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The cathedral was finally consecrated in 1768. It is 105 m long and 50 m wide. The central nave is 33 m high.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The cathedral houses a large number of paintings.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Flemish painter Ambrosius Benson / ~ 1530 / Triptych of the Descent /&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/43/32/52164332.d350c410.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="560" height="389" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/43/32/52164332.d350c410.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="167"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/43/32/52164332.d350c410.100.jpg?r2" width="100" height="70"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>León - Basílica de San Isidoro</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52113218/in/album/1354186</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2023-09-12,doc-52113218</guid>
    <pubDate>Tue, 12 Sep 2023 09:55:45 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2022-12-01T13:44:51+02:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52113218/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/32/18/52113218.f78071f3.240.jpg?r2" width="210" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;León was founded in 68 AD for a Roman legion from which they were supposed to pacify the rebellious mountain dwellers of Asturias and Cantabria. The name of the settlement that was then developed is based on a refined form of the Latin word "legio".&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
After the end of the Roman Empire, the city was conquered by the Visigoths and in 712 by the Moors. In 856, after the reconquest under King Ordoño I of Asturias, the city was repopulated. Ordoño II made León the capital of his kingdom of León in 914. Sacked by Almanzor in about 987, the city was reconstructed and repopulated by Alfonso V,&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
León was an important stop on the Way of St. James to Santiago de Compostela. Traders and artisans settled in the suburbs and had a strong influence on the development of the city from the 13th century onwards. In the early Middle Ages, the city became prosperous through the cattle trade. However, from the 16th century until the 19th century, the economy and population declined.&lt;br /&gt;
The Basílica de San Isidoro de León is located on the site of an ancient temple to the Roman god Mercury.  In the 10th century, the kings of León established a community of Benedictine sisters on the site.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Following the conquest of the area by Al-Mansur (938–1002), the church was destroyed and the area devastated. León was repopulated and a new church and monastery established in the 11th century by Alfonso V of León.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In 1063 the basilica was dedicated to Saint Isidore of Seville. Isidore was the archbishop of Seville and the most celebrated academic of Visigothic Spain in the period preceding the Arab invasions. With the agreement of the Muslim ruler of Seville, Isidore's relics were brought to Leon where they could be interred on Christian soil.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The church benefited from its position on the pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostella. Sculptors, stonemasons, and artists from across Europe gathered to work on the monastery.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Puerta del Perdón&lt;br /&gt;
It is called "Puerta del Perdón" because it was the door through which the pilgrims entered, to obtain the corresponding indulgences and forgiveness of sins in this church.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The tympanum is divided into three parts that show three different reliefs with three scenes: Ascension, Descent and Empty Sepulcher that the three Marys contemplate. The lintel rests on lion and dog heads.&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>León - Basílica de San Isidoro</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52113218/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/32/18/52113218.f78071f3.240.jpg?r2" width="210" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;León was founded in 68 AD for a Roman legion from which they were supposed to pacify the rebellious mountain dwellers of Asturias and Cantabria. The name of the settlement that was then developed is based on a refined form of the Latin word "legio".&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
After the end of the Roman Empire, the city was conquered by the Visigoths and in 712 by the Moors. In 856, after the reconquest under King Ordoño I of Asturias, the city was repopulated. Ordoño II made León the capital of his kingdom of León in 914. Sacked by Almanzor in about 987, the city was reconstructed and repopulated by Alfonso V,&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
León was an important stop on the Way of St. James to Santiago de Compostela. Traders and artisans settled in the suburbs and had a strong influence on the development of the city from the 13th century onwards. In the early Middle Ages, the city became prosperous through the cattle trade. However, from the 16th century until the 19th century, the economy and population declined.&lt;br /&gt;
The Basílica de San Isidoro de León is located on the site of an ancient temple to the Roman god Mercury.  In the 10th century, the kings of León established a community of Benedictine sisters on the site.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Following the conquest of the area by Al-Mansur (938–1002), the church was destroyed and the area devastated. León was repopulated and a new church and monastery established in the 11th century by Alfonso V of León.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In 1063 the basilica was dedicated to Saint Isidore of Seville. Isidore was the archbishop of Seville and the most celebrated academic of Visigothic Spain in the period preceding the Arab invasions. With the agreement of the Muslim ruler of Seville, Isidore's relics were brought to Leon where they could be interred on Christian soil.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The church benefited from its position on the pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostella. Sculptors, stonemasons, and artists from across Europe gathered to work on the monastery.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Puerta del Perdón&lt;br /&gt;
It is called "Puerta del Perdón" because it was the door through which the pilgrims entered, to obtain the corresponding indulgences and forgiveness of sins in this church.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The tympanum is divided into three parts that show three different reliefs with three scenes: Ascension, Descent and Empty Sepulcher that the three Marys contemplate. The lintel rests on lion and dog heads.&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/32/18/52113218.f78071f3.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="489" height="560" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/32/18/52113218.f78071f3.240.jpg?r2" width="210" height="240"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/32/18/52113218.f78071f3.100.jpg?r2" width="88" height="100"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Santo Domingo de Silos - Monasterio de Santo Domingo de Silos</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52092038/in/album/1354186</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2023-08-31,doc-52092038</guid>
    <pubDate>Thu, 31 Aug 2023 21:42:31 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2022-12-01T11:14:00+02:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52092038/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/20/38/52092038.c09d17ae.240.jpg?r2" width="151" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Santo Domingo de Silos is a village with a population of about 300 - and at least one nice hotel.&lt;br /&gt;
The first monastery was founded here in the Visigoth period (~ 590), but this monastery did not survive the Muslim period. A monastery was founded here again in 929, but it came to a standstill again after the raids under Almansor in the last quarter of the 10th century.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In 1002 the monastery was destroyed and had to be founded again. During the term of abbot Domingo de Silos from 1041- 1073, the monastery was strongly supported by King Ferdinand I, who was in power 1035 - 1065. Under Abbot Domingo, construction began on a Romanesque church with three naves, a transept and five apses. The consecration took place in 1088 before the construction as a whole was completed after the turn of the 12th century. After abbot Domingo's death, his veneration began and the monastery adopted him as its patron saint. It was called Santo Domingo de Silos from about 1110.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In the 18th century, there was a need for a larger church. The Romanesque church was demolished and replaced by a baroque new building.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The Romanesque cloister has two stories. The lower floor was of course built sometime earlier than the upper floor. The dates are disputed. The oldest parts may date from the late tenure of Saint Domingo. The upper one was completed around 1160/80.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The "Descent from the Cross"&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus are taking Christ down from the cross after his crucifixion&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Santo Domingo de Silos - Monasterio de Santo Domingo de Silos</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/52092038/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/20/38/52092038.c09d17ae.240.jpg?r2" width="151" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Santo Domingo de Silos is a village with a population of about 300 - and at least one nice hotel.&lt;br /&gt;
The first monastery was founded here in the Visigoth period (~ 590), but this monastery did not survive the Muslim period. A monastery was founded here again in 929, but it came to a standstill again after the raids under Almansor in the last quarter of the 10th century.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In 1002 the monastery was destroyed and had to be founded again. During the term of abbot Domingo de Silos from 1041- 1073, the monastery was strongly supported by King Ferdinand I, who was in power 1035 - 1065. Under Abbot Domingo, construction began on a Romanesque church with three naves, a transept and five apses. The consecration took place in 1088 before the construction as a whole was completed after the turn of the 12th century. After abbot Domingo's death, his veneration began and the monastery adopted him as its patron saint. It was called Santo Domingo de Silos from about 1110.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In the 18th century, there was a need for a larger church. The Romanesque church was demolished and replaced by a baroque new building.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The Romanesque cloister has two stories. The lower floor was of course built sometime earlier than the upper floor. The dates are disputed. The oldest parts may date from the late tenure of Saint Domingo. The upper one was completed around 1160/80.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The "Descent from the Cross"&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus are taking Christ down from the cross after his crucifixion&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/20/38/52092038.c09d17ae.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="353" height="560" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/20/38/52092038.c09d17ae.240.jpg?r2" width="151" height="240"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/20/38/52092038.c09d17ae.100.jpg?r2" width="63" height="100"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Płock - Bronze door</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/51341290/in/album/1354186</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2022-05-25,doc-51341290</guid>
    <pubDate>Wed, 25 May 2022 12:37:29 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2021-09-01T14:50:38+02:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/51341290/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/12/90/51341290.a09502ff.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="116" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The town on the Vistula River has been known since the 9th century.  In 1009 a Benedictine monastery was founded here. King Bolesław I the Brave built the original fortifications on the Cathedral Hill overlooking the Vistula River. In 1075, the city became the seat of a bishopric. From 1079 to 1138, during the reign of Władysław I Herman and Bolesław III. Wrymouth, the city was the capital of Poland. In 1144 the Płock Cathedral was completed, and in 1180 the first school in Poland was opened in the city, which still exists today as the Liceum Małachowianka.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
he 16th century was the golden age of the city before it suffered great population losses due to plague, fire and wars. In 1657, during the Second Northern War, the Swedes destroyed Płock, including the castle, but the population rebuilt it and recovered. In the late 18th century, the old city walls were torn down and a new town was built, where many German immigrants settled.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
During the second partition of Poland in 1793, the town was annexed by Prussia. In 1815 it became part of Congress Poland and later was annexed completely by the Russian Empire. In 1939, after the invasion of Poland, the city became part of the German Empire in violation of international law.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The first mention of the cathedral dates back to 1102, when Władysław I Herman was buried there. The present Romanesque cathedral was rebuilt after a fire and lasted from 1136 to 1144, being consecrated in 1144.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The Romanesque bronze door was created in Magdeburg in 1152-1154 by order of the Bishop of Płock and was originally installed in the cathedral. Through the mediation of the Bishop of Magdeburg, the order was given to Master Riquinus. Master Awram from Novgorod was also involved.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The components of the door were cast individually from bronze and nailed to the wooden door in partially reversed order. The sequence of images was changed several times and Russian inscriptions were added.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Between the panels with figural motifs there are wide borders. In total, the door consists of 26 panels. Between the panels there were borders with plant ornaments, which were replaced in the upper part by figural motifs of knights and animals.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The panels depict the cycle of redemption, starting with the scene of the creation of the first man and ending with Christ enthroned as the judge of the world, surrounded by symbols of the evangelists.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The door handles are designed in the form of lion heads holding small human heads in half-open mouths. &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The door remained in Płock for about 250 years, then it was brought to Novgorod and installed in St. Sophia's Cathedral. Either it was stolen by the Lithuanians during a raid in the 13th century or it was given to the Prince of Novgorod, Simon Lingwen, the brother of Władysław II. Jagiełło.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Today there is a bronze copy in Płock. The original is in Novgorod.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Descent from the Cross and the Myrrhbearers finding the empty grave.&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Płock - Bronze door</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/51341290/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/12/90/51341290.a09502ff.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="116" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;The town on the Vistula River has been known since the 9th century.  In 1009 a Benedictine monastery was founded here. King Bolesław I the Brave built the original fortifications on the Cathedral Hill overlooking the Vistula River. In 1075, the city became the seat of a bishopric. From 1079 to 1138, during the reign of Władysław I Herman and Bolesław III. Wrymouth, the city was the capital of Poland. In 1144 the Płock Cathedral was completed, and in 1180 the first school in Poland was opened in the city, which still exists today as the Liceum Małachowianka.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
he 16th century was the golden age of the city before it suffered great population losses due to plague, fire and wars. In 1657, during the Second Northern War, the Swedes destroyed Płock, including the castle, but the population rebuilt it and recovered. In the late 18th century, the old city walls were torn down and a new town was built, where many German immigrants settled.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
During the second partition of Poland in 1793, the town was annexed by Prussia. In 1815 it became part of Congress Poland and later was annexed completely by the Russian Empire. In 1939, after the invasion of Poland, the city became part of the German Empire in violation of international law.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The first mention of the cathedral dates back to 1102, when Władysław I Herman was buried there. The present Romanesque cathedral was rebuilt after a fire and lasted from 1136 to 1144, being consecrated in 1144.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The Romanesque bronze door was created in Magdeburg in 1152-1154 by order of the Bishop of Płock and was originally installed in the cathedral. Through the mediation of the Bishop of Magdeburg, the order was given to Master Riquinus. Master Awram from Novgorod was also involved.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The components of the door were cast individually from bronze and nailed to the wooden door in partially reversed order. The sequence of images was changed several times and Russian inscriptions were added.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Between the panels with figural motifs there are wide borders. In total, the door consists of 26 panels. Between the panels there were borders with plant ornaments, which were replaced in the upper part by figural motifs of knights and animals.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The panels depict the cycle of redemption, starting with the scene of the creation of the first man and ending with Christ enthroned as the judge of the world, surrounded by symbols of the evangelists.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The door handles are designed in the form of lion heads holding small human heads in half-open mouths. &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The door remained in Płock for about 250 years, then it was brought to Novgorod and installed in St. Sophia's Cathedral. Either it was stolen by the Lithuanians during a raid in the 13th century or it was given to the Prince of Novgorod, Simon Lingwen, the brother of Władysław II. Jagiełło.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Today there is a bronze copy in Płock. The original is in Novgorod.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Descent from the Cross and the Myrrhbearers finding the empty grave.&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/12/90/51341290.a09502ff.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="560" height="271" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/12/90/51341290.a09502ff.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="116"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/12/90/51341290.a09502ff.100.jpg?r2" width="100" height="49"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Rostock - Kulturhistorisches Museum</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/51040118/in/album/1354186</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2021-10-29,doc-51040118</guid>
    <pubDate>Fri, 29 Oct 2021 08:18:56 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2021-07-01T00:00:00+02:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/51040118/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/01/18/51040118.6da53642.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="162" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;With more than 200.000 inhabitants Rostock is the largest city in the state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Small Slavic settlements existed already in the 8th century. A settlement named Roztok was founded in the 11th century by Polabian Slavs. This town was burnt down by troops of the Danish king Valdemar I in 1161. Afterwards the place was settled by German traders.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
After 1226 Rostock became the seat of the Lordship of Rostock.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In the 1250s the city became a member of the Hanseatic League. In the 14th century it was a powerful seaport town with 12,000 inhabitants and the largest city in Mecklenburg. Ships for cruising the Baltic Sea were constructed in Rostock. Until the last Hansa Convention in 1669, Rostock took a leading role in the Baltic Sea behind Lübeck.&lt;br /&gt;
-&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The museum, founded mid 19th century, is hosted in the "Kloster zum Heiligen Kreuz", that got finally dissolved in 1920. The conversion into a museum began already in 1976, but the restoration of the buildings remained incomplete until 1997.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The winged Nonnenaltar (nun's altar) was created in the early 16th century. Its former location was in the church's nuns' gallery, thus the name.  The wings show depictions from the legend of the finding of the cross by Empress Helena. Note the predella, depicting the entombment of Jesus, the resurrection and Christ's descent into the underworld.&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Rostock - Kulturhistorisches Museum</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/51040118/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/01/18/51040118.6da53642.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="162" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;With more than 200.000 inhabitants Rostock is the largest city in the state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Small Slavic settlements existed already in the 8th century. A settlement named Roztok was founded in the 11th century by Polabian Slavs. This town was burnt down by troops of the Danish king Valdemar I in 1161. Afterwards the place was settled by German traders.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
After 1226 Rostock became the seat of the Lordship of Rostock.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In the 1250s the city became a member of the Hanseatic League. In the 14th century it was a powerful seaport town with 12,000 inhabitants and the largest city in Mecklenburg. Ships for cruising the Baltic Sea were constructed in Rostock. Until the last Hansa Convention in 1669, Rostock took a leading role in the Baltic Sea behind Lübeck.&lt;br /&gt;
-&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The museum, founded mid 19th century, is hosted in the "Kloster zum Heiligen Kreuz", that got finally dissolved in 1920. The conversion into a museum began already in 1976, but the restoration of the buildings remained incomplete until 1997.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The winged Nonnenaltar (nun's altar) was created in the early 16th century. Its former location was in the church's nuns' gallery, thus the name.  The wings show depictions from the legend of the finding of the cross by Empress Helena. Note the predella, depicting the entombment of Jesus, the resurrection and Christ's descent into the underworld.&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/01/18/51040118.6da53642.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="560" height="377" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/01/18/51040118.6da53642.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="162"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/01/18/51040118.6da53642.100.jpg?r2" width="100" height="68"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Monte Sant&amp;#039;Angelo - Tomba di Rotari</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/50107802/in/album/1354186</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2020-07-01,doc-50107802</guid>
    <pubDate>Wed, 01 Jul 2020 16:49:49 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2019-10-01T00:00:00+02:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/50107802/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/78/02/50107802.499b87bf.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="165" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Legends tell, that in 490, 492 and 493 the archangel Michael appeared to a shepherd and a bishop in front of a grotto. Archangel Michael instructing them to convert that cave into a Christian church. This grotto became the site of many pilgrimages since the early Middle Ages. It is said, that this is the oldest shrine in Western Europe&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
When the Lombards successfully conquered southern Italy end of the 6th century, King Grimoald in 662 passed on the region to his son, Romuald I, who renovated the sanctuary and encouraged its use as a pilgrimage site. It got very popular for pilgrims on their way to  Jerusalem and as well for pilgrims who had followed the Via Francigena to Rome and then continued to the grotto. Many Popes have been here, but as well Bridget of Sweden, Bernard of Clairvaux, Thomas Aquinas,  Matilda of Tuscany, Otto III...&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Only about 100 meters south of the sanctuary is a complex of (once) three interconnected and partially nested buildings. The apse of the Church of San Pietro, the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore and the "Tomba di Rotari" (aka "San Giovanni Battista in Tomba").&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
It was believed, that this was the mausoleum of the Lombardian King Rothari, but that was a misinterpretation. The consent now, is, that the 12th structure was a baptistery, dedicated to John the Baptist.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The small portal has an extraordinary very complex tympanum. The upper part is centred around the "Descent from the Cross". Joseph of Arimathea holds large pliers.&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Monte Sant&amp;#039;Angelo - Tomba di Rotari</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/50107802/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/78/02/50107802.499b87bf.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="165" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Legends tell, that in 490, 492 and 493 the archangel Michael appeared to a shepherd and a bishop in front of a grotto. Archangel Michael instructing them to convert that cave into a Christian church. This grotto became the site of many pilgrimages since the early Middle Ages. It is said, that this is the oldest shrine in Western Europe&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
When the Lombards successfully conquered southern Italy end of the 6th century, King Grimoald in 662 passed on the region to his son, Romuald I, who renovated the sanctuary and encouraged its use as a pilgrimage site. It got very popular for pilgrims on their way to  Jerusalem and as well for pilgrims who had followed the Via Francigena to Rome and then continued to the grotto. Many Popes have been here, but as well Bridget of Sweden, Bernard of Clairvaux, Thomas Aquinas,  Matilda of Tuscany, Otto III...&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Only about 100 meters south of the sanctuary is a complex of (once) three interconnected and partially nested buildings. The apse of the Church of San Pietro, the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore and the "Tomba di Rotari" (aka "San Giovanni Battista in Tomba").&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
It was believed, that this was the mausoleum of the Lombardian King Rothari, but that was a misinterpretation. The consent now, is, that the 12th structure was a baptistery, dedicated to John the Baptist.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The small portal has an extraordinary very complex tympanum. The upper part is centred around the "Descent from the Cross". Joseph of Arimathea holds large pliers.&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/78/02/50107802.499b87bf.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="560" height="383" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/78/02/50107802.499b87bf.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="165"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/78/02/50107802.499b87bf.100.jpg?r2" width="100" height="69"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Siena - Duomo di Siena</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/43024656/in/album/1354186</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2016-09-13,doc-43024656</guid>
    <pubDate>Tue, 13 Sep 2016 21:51:02 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2015-10-01T00:00:00+02:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/43024656/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/46/56/43024656.818a52ea.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="180" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;A cathedral and a bishop's palace existed here already within the 9th century. The construction of the cathedral of today started in 1196, about 150 years later, the church may have been completed, but a massive addition of the cathedral was planned in 1339. &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
It would have more than doubled the size of the structure by means of an entirely new nave and two aisles ranged perpendicular to the existing nave. The planned cathedral would have been larger than (old) Saint Peter in Rome, it was never completed.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The construction was halted by the Black Death in 1348. Then errors in the static of the building got evident.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
A kind of under-church, that was underneath the choir of the cathedral had to be filled up, to give stability... and got completely forgotten. &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In 1999 this crypt was found and got excavated over the next years.  There are some phantastic frescoes from around 1280. As they had been in the dark for centuries, the colours are surprisingly - clear. &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Here the "Descent from the Cross".&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Siena - Duomo di Siena</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/43024656/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/46/56/43024656.818a52ea.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="180" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;A cathedral and a bishop's palace existed here already within the 9th century. The construction of the cathedral of today started in 1196, about 150 years later, the church may have been completed, but a massive addition of the cathedral was planned in 1339. &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
It would have more than doubled the size of the structure by means of an entirely new nave and two aisles ranged perpendicular to the existing nave. The planned cathedral would have been larger than (old) Saint Peter in Rome, it was never completed.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The construction was halted by the Black Death in 1348. Then errors in the static of the building got evident.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
A kind of under-church, that was underneath the choir of the cathedral had to be filled up, to give stability... and got completely forgotten. &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In 1999 this crypt was found and got excavated over the next years.  There are some phantastic frescoes from around 1280. As they had been in the dark for centuries, the colours are surprisingly - clear. &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Here the "Descent from the Cross".&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/46/56/43024656.818a52ea.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="560" height="420" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/46/56/43024656.818a52ea.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="180"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/46/56/43024656.818a52ea.100.jpg?r2" width="100" height="75"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Le Douhet - Saint-Martial</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/41191744/in/album/1354186</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2016-02-21,doc-41191744</guid>
    <pubDate>Sun, 21 Feb 2016 22:19:55 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2015-07-01T00:00:00+01:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/41191744/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/17/44/41191744.3dd448eb.240.jpg?r2" width="193" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;San Martial, parish church of Le Douhet is a 12th century structure, that had to be stabilized by buttresses within the 15th century, when a steeple was built and the building got unbalanced and unstable.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The portal, erected in the typical Saintonge-style, is richly decorated. Here is a corbel, depicting the "Descent from the Cross".&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
John 19:38&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
"After these things Joseph of Arimathea, who was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly for fear of the Jews, asked Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus, and Pilate gave him permission. So he came and took away his body."&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The stones, used in medieval times all over the Saintonge, were very soft and so ideal for complex carvings. Unfortunately they weathered over the centuries.&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Le Douhet - Saint-Martial</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/41191744/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/17/44/41191744.3dd448eb.240.jpg?r2" width="193" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;San Martial, parish church of Le Douhet is a 12th century structure, that had to be stabilized by buttresses within the 15th century, when a steeple was built and the building got unbalanced and unstable.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The portal, erected in the typical Saintonge-style, is richly decorated. Here is a corbel, depicting the "Descent from the Cross".&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
John 19:38&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
"After these things Joseph of Arimathea, who was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly for fear of the Jews, asked Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus, and Pilate gave him permission. So he came and took away his body."&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The stones, used in medieval times all over the Saintonge, were very soft and so ideal for complex carvings. Unfortunately they weathered over the centuries.&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/17/44/41191744.3dd448eb.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="449" height="560" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/17/44/41191744.3dd448eb.240.jpg?r2" width="193" height="240"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/17/44/41191744.3dd448eb.100.jpg?r2" width="81" height="100"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Romeno - Santi Bartolomeo e Tommaso</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/39860576/in/album/1354186</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2015-10-02,doc-39860576</guid>
    <pubDate>Fri, 02 Oct 2015 16:22:48 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2014-03-01T00:00:00+02:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/39860576/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/05/76/39860576.0878d012.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="228" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Romeno is a small village in the Val di Non. The small church, outside the village, is surrounded by orchards. It may date back to the 8th century, though it was mentioned first time in 1187. Soon after the interior walls of Santi Bartolomeo e Tommaso were adorned with murals.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Some of the frescoes (dated to 1210) still exist.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The Descent from the Cross.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The person to the left could be Mary Magdalene, Joseph of Arimathea (or Nicodemus) holds the body (near the chest), followed by John the Apostle and Mary.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Matthew 27:57-58&lt;br /&gt;
"As evening approached, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who had himself become a disciple of Jesus. Going to Pilate, he asked for Jesus’ body, and Pilate ordered that it be given to him."&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
John 19:38-39&lt;br /&gt;
"Later, Joseph of Arimathea asked Pilate for the body of Jesus. Now Joseph was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly because he feared the Jewish leaders. With Pilate’s permission, he came and took the body away. He was accompanied by Nicodemus, the man who earlier had visited Jesus at night.."&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Romeno - Santi Bartolomeo e Tommaso</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/39860576/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/05/76/39860576.0878d012.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="228" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Romeno is a small village in the Val di Non. The small church, outside the village, is surrounded by orchards. It may date back to the 8th century, though it was mentioned first time in 1187. Soon after the interior walls of Santi Bartolomeo e Tommaso were adorned with murals.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Some of the frescoes (dated to 1210) still exist.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The Descent from the Cross.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The person to the left could be Mary Magdalene, Joseph of Arimathea (or Nicodemus) holds the body (near the chest), followed by John the Apostle and Mary.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Matthew 27:57-58&lt;br /&gt;
"As evening approached, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who had himself become a disciple of Jesus. Going to Pilate, he asked for Jesus’ body, and Pilate ordered that it be given to him."&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
John 19:38-39&lt;br /&gt;
"Later, Joseph of Arimathea asked Pilate for the body of Jesus. Now Joseph was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly because he feared the Jewish leaders. With Pilate’s permission, he came and took the body away. He was accompanied by Nicodemus, the man who earlier had visited Jesus at night.."&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/05/76/39860576.0878d012.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="560" height="531" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/05/76/39860576.0878d012.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="228"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/05/76/39860576.0878d012.100.jpg?r2" width="100" height="95"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Ruffec - Eglise de Prieure</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/33010979/in/album/1354186</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2014-05-17,doc-33010979</guid>
    <pubDate>Sat, 17 May 2014 21:48:50 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2013-08-01T00:00:00+02:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/33010979/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/143/09/79/33010979.d128912d.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="149" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Whatever is left from the priory Saint-Alpinien, dependent from the Abbey of Saint Martial in Limoges, that existed in Ruffec in the 12th century, is privat property today. The large church of the priory got heavily damaged and the only carving, that I found on the facade is this weathered "Descent from the Cross".&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Ruffec - Eglise de Prieure</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/33010979/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/143/09/79/33010979.d128912d.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="149" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Whatever is left from the priory Saint-Alpinien, dependent from the Abbey of Saint Martial in Limoges, that existed in Ruffec in the 12th century, is privat property today. The large church of the priory got heavily damaged and the only carving, that I found on the facade is this weathered "Descent from the Cross".&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/143/09/79/33010979.d128912d.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="560" height="347" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/143/09/79/33010979.d128912d.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="149"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/143/09/79/33010979.d128912d.100.jpg?r2" width="100" height="62"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Le Douhet - Saint-Martial</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/35820637/in/album/1354186</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2014-11-08,doc-35820637</guid>
    <pubDate>Sat, 08 Nov 2014 23:41:40 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2014-07-01T00:00:00+01:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/35820637/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/146/06/37/35820637.5adcebae.240.jpg?r2" width="180" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;In the center of Le Douhet, a village just 12 kms north east of Saintes, is Saint Martial, a 12th century structure, that had to be stabilized by buttresses within the 15th century, when a steeple was built.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The western facade is richly decorated with friezes and archivolts over the portal and the flanking blind arches. There are as well some remarkable corbels. Some of them are weathered, like this "Descent from the Cross". Joseph of Arimathea takes the body of Jesus down from the cross. A 13th century legend tells, that Joseph in his old age travelled to Glastonbury, where he buried the Holy Grail.&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Le Douhet - Saint-Martial</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/35820637/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/146/06/37/35820637.5adcebae.240.jpg?r2" width="180" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;In the center of Le Douhet, a village just 12 kms north east of Saintes, is Saint Martial, a 12th century structure, that had to be stabilized by buttresses within the 15th century, when a steeple was built.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The western facade is richly decorated with friezes and archivolts over the portal and the flanking blind arches. There are as well some remarkable corbels. Some of them are weathered, like this "Descent from the Cross". Joseph of Arimathea takes the body of Jesus down from the cross. A 13th century legend tells, that Joseph in his old age travelled to Glastonbury, where he buried the Holy Grail.&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/146/06/37/35820637.5adcebae.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="420" height="560" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/146/06/37/35820637.5adcebae.240.jpg?r2" width="180" height="240"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/146/06/37/35820637.5adcebae.100.jpg?r2" width="75" height="100"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Logroño - San Bartolomé</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/36328322/in/album/1354186</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2014-12-19,doc-36328322</guid>
    <pubDate>Fri, 19 Dec 2014 22:29:18 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2014-07-01T23:29:18+01:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/36328322/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/83/22/36328322.a36000b8.240.jpg?r2" width="171" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;San Bartolomé is the oldest church of Logroño. The construction dates back to the 12th century. Though it got altered largely in the 16th century, the Romanesque structure is still visible.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
During the time of "La Desamortización", when mid 19th century many monastic properties got sold, the church was used as a warehouse and workshop. It was even discussed to demolish the building.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The porch was created in the 13th century.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Below the large vignettes themed about Saint Bartholomew's life and death are small, very nice scenes. Here is a "Descent from the Cross". &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Joseph of Arimathea takes the body of Jesus down from the cross. A 13th century legend tells, that Joseph in his old age travelled to England and buried the Holy Grail in Glastonbury.&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Logroño - San Bartolomé</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/36328322/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/83/22/36328322.a36000b8.240.jpg?r2" width="171" height="240" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;San Bartolomé is the oldest church of Logroño. The construction dates back to the 12th century. Though it got altered largely in the 16th century, the Romanesque structure is still visible.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
During the time of "La Desamortización", when mid 19th century many monastic properties got sold, the church was used as a warehouse and workshop. It was even discussed to demolish the building.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The porch was created in the 13th century.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Below the large vignettes themed about Saint Bartholomew's life and death are small, very nice scenes. Here is a "Descent from the Cross". &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Joseph of Arimathea takes the body of Jesus down from the cross. A 13th century legend tells, that Joseph in his old age travelled to England and buried the Holy Grail in Glastonbury.&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/83/22/36328322.a36000b8.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="398" height="560" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/83/22/36328322.a36000b8.240.jpg?r2" width="171" height="240"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/83/22/36328322.a36000b8.100.jpg?r2" width="71" height="100"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Externsteine</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/45803370/in/album/1354186</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2010-02-03,doc-45803370</guid>
    <pubDate>Wed, 03 Feb 2010 14:29:47 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2004-03-13T13:06:35+01:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/45803370/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/33/70/45803370.f7c67a42.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="180" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Showing the upper part of the relief of the Descent from the Cross. On the left is the opening to a little cave, used as a hermitage, dated by some historians as early as 9th century. The carving itself was done probably within the 12th century.&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Externsteine</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/45803370/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/33/70/45803370.f7c67a42.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="180" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Showing the upper part of the relief of the Descent from the Cross. On the left is the opening to a little cave, used as a hermitage, dated by some historians as early as 9th century. The carving itself was done probably within the 12th century.&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/33/70/45803370.f7c67a42.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="560" height="420" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/33/70/45803370.f7c67a42.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="180"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/33/70/45803370.f7c67a42.100.jpg?r2" width="100" height="75"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
  <item>
    <title>Parma - Duomo di Parma</title>
    <link>https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/43667536/in/album/1354186</link>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">tag:ipernity.com,2016-11-07,doc-43667536</guid>
    <pubDate>Mon, 07 Nov 2016 12:31:38 +0000</pubDate>
    <dc:date.created>2015-10-01T00:00:00+01:00</dc:date.created>
    <author>nobody@ipernity.com (Martin M. Miles)</author>
    <description>&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/43667536/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/75/36/43667536.cdb1a6e6.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="126" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Parma, part of the Holy Roman Empire since Charlemagne´s times, was locally ruled by its bishops. During the long Investiture Controversy, Parma was (mostly) member of the Imperial party ("Ghibellini"). Two of Parma´s bishops even became antipopes: Càdalo as Honorius II and Guibert as Clement III.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
A paleochristian basilica had existed here in the 6th century. This church burnt down and got replaced in the 9th century by Bishop Wibod. This cathedral was destroyed by fire in 1055.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Bishop Càdalo (= antipope Honorius II) begun the construction of the Duomo di Parma in 1059. The Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta got consecrated in 1106, but the new church was heavily damaged by the earthquake in 1117 and had to be restored.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Originally the Duomo was erected on a Latin cross plan, with a nave and two transept arms. Later chapels and structures were added, so by now, the plan is pretty complex.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
It is actually not allowed, to take photos inside the Duomo di Parma, but nevertheless I took a few. Very few. &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The "Descent from the Cross", created and signed in 1178 by Benedetto Antelami, is (for me) the most fantastic work in the Duomo.  It is believed that Benedetto Antelami has served as apprentice at Saint-Trophime d'Arles in his early years. So there are parallels to the "style provençal".  &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Antelami´s signature is above the right cross-beam.&lt;/div&gt;</description>
    <media:title>Parma - Duomo di Parma</media:title>
    <media:text type="html">&lt;p class="who"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/home/323415"&gt;Martin M. Miles&lt;/a&gt; has posted:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="preview"&gt;&lt;a href="https://www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/43667536/in/album/1354186"&gt;&lt;img src="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/75/36/43667536.cdb1a6e6.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="126" alt=""/&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class="description"&gt;Parma, part of the Holy Roman Empire since Charlemagne´s times, was locally ruled by its bishops. During the long Investiture Controversy, Parma was (mostly) member of the Imperial party ("Ghibellini"). Two of Parma´s bishops even became antipopes: Càdalo as Honorius II and Guibert as Clement III.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
A paleochristian basilica had existed here in the 6th century. This church burnt down and got replaced in the 9th century by Bishop Wibod. This cathedral was destroyed by fire in 1055.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Bishop Càdalo (= antipope Honorius II) begun the construction of the Duomo di Parma in 1059. The Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta got consecrated in 1106, but the new church was heavily damaged by the earthquake in 1117 and had to be restored.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Originally the Duomo was erected on a Latin cross plan, with a nave and two transept arms. Later chapels and structures were added, so by now, the plan is pretty complex.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
It is actually not allowed, to take photos inside the Duomo di Parma, but nevertheless I took a few. Very few. &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
The "Descent from the Cross", created and signed in 1178 by Benedetto Antelami, is (for me) the most fantastic work in the Duomo.  It is believed that Benedetto Antelami has served as apprentice at Saint-Trophime d'Arles in his early years. So there are parallels to the "style provençal".  &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Antelami´s signature is above the right cross-beam.&lt;/div&gt;</media:text>
    <media:content url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/75/36/43667536.cdb1a6e6.560.jpg?r2" type="image/jpeg" width="560" height="292" duration="0" isDefault="true"  />
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/75/36/43667536.cdb1a6e6.240.jpg?r2" width="240" height="126"/>
    <media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.ipernity.com/200/75/36/43667536.cdb1a6e6.100.jpg?r2" width="100" height="53"/>
    <media:credit role="author">Martin M. Miles</media:credit>
  </item>
</channel>
</rss>